Heel Flap Dilemma

I’m having a wee touch of trouble with my “Simple Sock in Three Sizes” pattern from “Socks Soar…” If we’ve got any veterans for this pattern (and it seems certain we do), I wouldn’t mind a touch of insight.

I’ve done a sock on dpns before with no problem, although in the section that’s troubling me, the type of needle hardly matters… Anyway, on the heel flap, Cat seems to want me to knit in “heel stitch” (although she doesn’t call it that)…

My problem is this:

On Row 1, Cat says to: Sl 1 as to p, *(k1, sl 1 as to k) repeat from *, end k1.

On Row 2, she asks me to sl 1 as to p, p across, end k1.

Seems simple. Problem is this. When I purl a “sl 1 as to k” it’s twisted. In the event that I have lost my mind, I even grabbed up a newbie book and double checked to make sure I wasn’t inserting, wrapping, or slipping in the wrong direction. Nope. I wasn’t. That I could perceive.

In other places, directions for heel stitch say to sl as to p on Row 1. This works like a dream for me. No twisties, still get my nice ridge-y heel stitch…

But as I flip through the book, Cat recommends sl as to k throughout for heel flaps. Cat is smarter than I am. She is a better knitter than I am. I know this. This is why despite the fact that I’ve got some nice “heel stitch” going, I want to know why I can’t make Cat’s heel come out correctly. Or what I think is “correctly.”

Sooooo… Multiple choice:

A) I am making some weird error somewhere. When others do it Cat’s way, they have no twisted stitches. I should practice on a swatch for my own good until I get the desired result doing it her way.

B) Cat wants you to have every other stitch twisted that way for some mystical heel-strength reason.

C) I should always p "sl as to k"s by wrapping the yarn counter-normally so as to avoid twists, but Cat assumed I knew that and didn’t mention it??

D) Cat’s directions are wrong but there’s no mention of this in her errata anywhere meaning I am the first knitter in history to find it (no, I am not seriously suggesting this could be the case, for the record.)

Thoughts??

I don’t have that book, but I’ve made a few socks. I always slip my heel sts as if to purl. I tried doing them knitwise once and got frustrated with it. It’s possible that doing them twisted makes them a bit thicker, and therefore will wear longer.

Personally, I’d probably just slip them purlwise… since it’s such a very slight difference in the pattern… and no other adjustment to the pattern would be needed like if you were changing the heel style or some other large modification.

shakes fist at the absent Cat

You know, I am doing this sock as part of a KAL of which I am (sadly) the ersatz leader and the only other person who has gotten to the heel flap is also facing twisted stitches, I have just discovered.

This makes me think Cat must, indeed, want them twisted. Personally, I think that is, well, twisted. I will happily twist my picked up stitches to prevent gaps b/c everyone raves about that little trick, but it goes against the grain for me to purposefully create row after row of nasty, tight, twisted stitches (unless I’m knitting twisted rib, obv).

I thank you for your validation. I think I shall continue, as you have suggested, slipping as to p. The fabric seems plenty dense.

I’d still be glad to get confirmation from someone that Cat does want a twisty flap, though. It could help smooth things over with my KALsters. I could be facing a mutiny, otherwise, and they ALL have sharp pointy sticks with nice strangle-y cables between them. Two apiece, in fact. shudder

:smiley: I also slip my sts purlwise on heelflaps :wink:

Me too :smiley:

me three :smiley:

me four

How about emailing Cat and asking her? Her email, as it appears on her web site, is cat@catbordhi.com

Let us know what she has to say!

Mama Bear

Well, it looks like I will be slipping my stitches purlwise after this pair of socks. Sounds like less of a headache. The heel flap is definitely thicker with the twisted stitches compared to the rest of the sock, however. Perhaps that really is the reason for slipping knitwise.

I say you email and ask, Tree.