This is my first attempt at color work and i chose this pattern because it had a video as well. ALSO this is my first pattern.
i was having trouble getting used to it. but i think i have it down. my problem is that i’m on the 12th row up and my actual heart shape, no matter how often i count and recount, by my word i’m doing it in the right places but the shape is ending up sort of zigzagged. all over the place. at first i figured it was my gauge or tension.
i figured out the problem: i wasn’t really counting the white border on the outside i kind of just thought it was a computer program for creating patterns that glitched. and i had ignored the bit of “purl the last stich with both colors.”
the reason why i ignored it was because it didn’t make sense to me. that i would just be increasing the amount of stiches one at a time in each row. even with the instruction “slip the first stich in each row” i would be increasing it. i did an experiment on another pair of needles using ten stiches and in fact when i purled the last stich with both colors each time, and slipped the first stitch the next and purled the last stich with both colors i increased stiches. i stopped when my stich count went up to 15.
am i missing something?
it is my first pattern but when the instructions are repeated twice eachtime as a seperate row, i assume thats what you do over and over. where does it say i decrease or something?
and i’ve read other forum questions so i’ll jsut say: i’m not holding it english or continetal. i know the vedo suggested the methods but it is really uncomfortable for me and i find it faster to jsut hold both colors on one finger on my right hand. the effects are the same though i’m sure once i got used to the other methods it would be faster but ONE THING AT A TIME!
its my first pattern and try to traditional color work so i’m not too upset its not going well i jsut want to understand. (my version of color work is jsut stripes in scarves. and i dont trust the methods of just weaving tails into the fabric, it seems like if it were stretched they would seperate so when i cut the tails i tie them together and then weave on the back with a tapestry needle. that’s why i favored the double work idea, it seems more stable.)