Head band

Help with this free pattern please:

What size needles do I use here?

What does this mean:

CO 3 sts and work I-cord for 10". You can go 12 inches if you want a longer tie.

What is CO? What is I-cord?

Row 1: Sl 1, purl to end

What do I do here? SL 1 means I just slip one stitch to the left needle without knitting it and then purl to end?

Row 8: Sl 1, k1, *YO, k3, pas first of the 3 knit stitches over the 2nd and 3rd stitches; Repeat from * across ending with k1.

I don’t understand the part after the yarn over, what needs to be done?

Thank you

I’m a fairly new knitter but will help with what I can.

The pattern says to use size 6 double pointed needles. I’ve never done a headband so I’m not sure how/why it is being done in the round. someone else might be more help with this part.

CO means “cast on”. Look up videos on how to do a long tail cast on if you don’t know how.

The I cord is the ties that go under your hair and tie together. Here is a photo from someone else who did that head band which shows the i cord http://www.ravelry.com/projects/lcrooks16/star-stitch-headband

Sl 1 does indeed mean you just move the stitch from the left hand needle to the right hand needle without working it. You slip it purlwise (insert right hand needle into the stitch as if you were going to purl it, but then just slip it off).

Row 8: Sl 1, k1, *YO, k3, pas first of the 3 knit stitches over the 2nd and 3rd stitches; Repeat from * across ending with k1.

My guess is the word pas is a typo and it says pass. So you just knitted three sts, you take the first one you knitted (bottom of the three) and pull it up and over the top of the needle. Check out the video on the bottom of this page, it shows you exactly what to do http://www.theweeklystitch.com/2011/12/knotted-open-work-and-open-star-stitch.html

2 Likes

What a cute pattern. It’s a nice size for trying some new things.

The pattern calls for size 6 needles - Size 6 DPN - and specifies dpn because of the I cord and you can just continue using the same needles since the piece isn’t very wide. I cord can be worked on other needles but involves slipping the stitches back and forth from one needle to the other or pulling the cable of a circular needle through to get the stitches at the other end.

I cord makes the tails that tie together. How to knit an i-cord

Slip the first stitch without working it give you a nice edge. Unless otherwise specified you can reasonably assume that stitches should be slipped purlwise. There are lots of videos on slipping edge stitches if you want more info.

YO, k3, pas first of the 3 knit stitches over the 2nd and 3rd stitches - pas should be pass
How to Knit the STAR STITCH: Easy Knitting for Beginners
I think this video is the same as your pattern. If not exactly the same I think it’s close enough that you can figure out what you need to do.

This is a great project. If you have more questions be sure to ask. If my attempts to help aren’t making sense, ask for someone else to explain. Enjoy this cute project.

1 Like

Excellent explanations on I cord and the star stitch link is great, if I had read your post more carefully I would have saved myself some time. lol

This is knit flat. The dpn are for I cord and since it’s a small piece can use the same needles start to finish. A good clue is that it specifies rows, not rounds. This isn’t always reliable but between that and looking at the picture I’m sure you would quickly figure out that it’s worked flat.

Happy knitting!

Thank you @GrumpyGramma and @eoreilly24, that makes everything completely clear. So I guess I need to have 10" long of i cord, that’s a bit long… I am doing this head band for a 4 year old, I guess I could make it a bit shorter if I like? What would you suggest?

I have 4mm needles which I assume are the same as the 6 that is mentioned here, but they are not double edge… so just have to slip them back and forth like you were mentioning @GrumpyGramma? I might have two 5mm cable cord, will that work or is that too big?

Thanks

You could even do a different sort of tie cord if you wish. I think I might us a crochet hook and chain one. Whatever works. 10" does seem a bit long to me too but do what seems best for tying to you. I had to look up the mm to see what size your needles are. The chart at the link below says they are size 6. Whatever needles produce the desired result with the yarn you use are the right needles. I can do I cord on other than dpn but better let someone else explain it if you need that done. I fear I would make it much harder than it needs to be.

Knitting needle / crochet hook size conversion chart