Having trouble with purling

I just started knitting a month ago and so far have made two garter stitch scarves. I want to try to make a scarf with ribbing. I know this is lame, but for some reason, I cannot for the life of me figure out the purl stitch. I am using the English method. I have tried stitch n bitch, the videos on this site, and I Can’t Believe I’m Knitting. I can pretty much do knit stitches in my sleep, so I don’t know why I can’t grasp this!! Does anyone have any tips?? Thanks!:slight_smile:

It took me a while to figure out the purl stitch as well. I kept purling into the back loop!

To purl, bring your yarn to the front of your work, facing you. Point your right needle to the left and slip it into the front of your stitch. Bring your yarn behind the tip of your right needle, looping it to the front and point your needle straight up.

Hope this helps!

In english style, the yarn is wrapped around the needle the same way as in the knit st, it’s just that the needle is inserted into the stitch from back to front.

Thanks! That is a big help. I actually just learned a new cast-on–cable cast-on, which for some reason made figuring out purling easier.