Having trouble continuing "in this way"

The directions for a square in the round, with built-in Contrast Color (CC) I-cord trim, is as follows. Where it says “Cont in this way”, I have no idea what is meant.

Square

With Main Color (MC), cast on 8 sts-2 on each of 4 dpn.
Rnd 1: Knit.
Rnd 2: K1, yo; rep from around-16 sts.
Rnd 3: Knit.
Rnd 4: K1, yo, k3, yo; rep from around-24 sts.
Rnd 5: Using 4 CC butterflies (or bobbins) (1 on each needle), k3, k1 CC, k2; rep from around.
Rnd 6: K1, yo, k2, k into front and back of CC, k2, yo; rep from around-36 sts.
Rnd 7: K4, with CC k1-M1-k1 into CC st, k3; rep from around-40 sts.
Rnd 8: K1, yo, k3, k3 with CC, k3, yo; rep from around-48 sts.

Then it says “Cont in this way, inc 2 sts at each corner every other rnd and knitting 3 CC sts at the center of each quarter.”

I don’t understand what that means (“Cont in this way”). Which way? What should I do? Do I keep repeating what’s done in Rnd 8, only increasing by one the number of MC sts on either side of the CC I-cord each time? I don’t think so, considering it says “inc 2 sts at each corner every other rnd”. I’m confused.

Please help.

You are right, that is confusing!

My best guess would be that you would repeat round 8.

Rnd 8: K1, [B]yo[/B], k3, [I][B]k3 with CC[/B][/I], k3, [B]yo[/B]; rep from around-48 sts.

In that round you are increasing 2 stitches and knitting 3 with the CC in the center.

Man, who writes some knitting patterns? It makes you wonder if they are written in another language and then badly translated.

You can always insert a lifeline in your work and try it a few rows. Then if it’s wrong you have a place to frog back to.

Hope this helps!

Susan

It’s referring making 2 incs in each corner every other round, and keeping 3 sts in the middle of each side in CC color. The rest should be done in the MC.

The “every other round part” had me thinking too that maybe I should be alternating the following rounds (designated A and B, where N is the number in the previous similar round):

rnd A: K1, [B]yo[/B], k[N + 1], [I][B]k3 with CC[/B][/I], k[N + 1], [B]yo[/B]; rep from

rnd B: K[N + 1], [I][B]k3 with CC[/B][/I], k[N + 1]; rep from

Is this what you mean suzeeq?

All you have to remember is to increase on every other round at the corners and keep the middle 3 sts in the CC. Trying to do algebra with a knitting instruction is way too much for my poor brain!

:teehee: I know what you mean. I’ll give it a go!