Having pinky amputated

Hi everyone, wishing you well. I’m totally not looking for sympathy : ) Well, for the past 6 years I’ve had problems with my right (dominate) hand due to a 3rd degree burn to the entire palm side of the hand and all fingers. I’ve endured lots of surgeries, skin grafts, etc., and lost 1/2 my index finger. This is why knitting was so hard to learn, but I persevered and am getting there! My pinky has always been really curled (my remaining fingers are too, but not as bad.) Well, now due to poor blood flow it is going gangrene, so this Thursday it comes off. But you know what? It should actually make knitting easier for me since the yarn won’t get caught on it. So I’m really happy about it! I’m just an advanced beginner, as they call it, but I look forward to going further. Thanks for this great forum and all your help. :hug:

I am so sorry you had to endure that. My huband hand’s were burned in accident at his job when he was working.They fitted him with pressure gloves after the burns had healed. He kept his hands moisturized and wore the pressure gloves 24 /7 taking them off only to bathe.Today his hands look like they were never burned.
Did you not get the right treatment for burns that severe? My husband was taken to Tampa general hospital because of the Burn clinic they had.

Thank you Daylily. And no, I didn’t get the proper treatment. I live in New Orleans and they do not have a burn treatment center here. I never got those gloves, hence the extreme contractures and scarring. They really need a burn unit here. But I am blessed to have my hand!

You are a brave person indeed. I’m sorry for your troubles and I’ll certainly be thinking of you on Thursday.

It’s too bad you didn’t get good hand therapy, but I’m glad you can knit. You’re likely right about it making knitting easier once it heals.

If you still have trouble, we can all brainstorm. There are so many ways to knit that something is sure to work!

Becky, salmonmac, thank you for your kind words. I can’t wait to start knitting again! And yes, I believe it will be easier. What kind people we have here. :heart:

Wow!! What a great attitude you have! Keep looking at the positive! I will be praying for you, especially on Thursday!

Happy Knitting!!!
Knitcindy

Knitcindy, such sweet words! Thank you all for your prayers. I am full of gratitude everyday. There are others who have it much worse, and I feel deeply for them. I was a bit leary about sharing my story, but now I am so happy I did. All of your kind words inspire me!

I’m sorry you had to go through this! If you’re ever feeling political maybe you can get something done about having a burn center.

I’m glad you can still knit and we can help if you need to figure something out. My thoughts are with you!!

Jan, what a sweetheart you are. My surgery is tomorrow and I know all will be well. Thanks to you and all for your good thoughts and prayers. : )

Ok everyone my surgery went well! I’m feeling a bit loopy but otherwise I am fine. Thank you all for your good thoughts and prayers. I’m minus a pinky but full of love. :heart:

what a terrible thing to go through, I’m sorry.

BUT, what a great perspective on it all. you’re my new hero. Happy New Year, and also, Happy New Knitting.

Well said! Glad to hear you’re doing so well. A very happy New Year to you. You are one courageous lady.

Oh, good, you’re able to type! May the New Year bring you the best of everything…and lots of knitting!

Try to keep your hands moisturized by wearing a pair of gloves over the moisturizer at night when sleeping. Give your hands a good layer of it and then wear a pair of cotton gloves over it to sleep in. My husband still rubs moisturizer on his hands to keep the skin supple.

Good luck with your surgery, Susianna. Everyone should have your attitude. I say where there’s a will, there’s a way so I feel sure you will continue knit your way to expert!
Pauline

Thanks to all of you from my heart. I feel so good knowing I have your support. Blessings to you all and a very Happy New Year! Now that it’s all over I can just concentrate on my knitting. :hug:

You have the best attitude and I am glad the surgery went well. I look forward to reading about your progress and seeing your knitting progress.

I’m glad it went well. You have a great attitude. Good, healing knitting to you! :muah: