Having a tough time with

hi all… having a tough time with the purl essence rainbow boucle yarn from joann’s… (http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/purl-essence-rainbow-boucle). i’d like to use it for a great shawl/blanket, the vortex by kristina mccurley (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/vortex-shawl) but i just can’t seem to make the yarn work for me, regardless of needle size/type. i’ve tried 6-10, in metal and wood. is there some trick i’m missing? i know some on ravelry complained their skeins had issues, but i wound mine (which were actually mill ends) into balls on an electric ball winder, and had no snags, clumps, knots, etc. so, any hints, suggestions, etc are much appreciated. thanks!- X :wink:

What isn’t working? Is it a gauge problem?

honestly, i think it’s operator error. i’m just not doing well at knitting with it. it snags, it catches, often it’s hard to see the center string that all the fibers are attached to, the one you actually knit… but it’s so plush, cozy, and purple, it’d be great for my aunt, so i’m reluctant to give it up. i just wondered if there was a special technique or handling instructions with thinner boucle that i’m not aware of…

I’ve seen tips for working with boucle yarn. Right now all I can find is to use less pointy needles. When I work with snaggy yarn I like to use larger needles and make sure I work loosely. If you can soldier through and complete a simple shawl I’m sure your aunt will love it. I myself would stick to a simple triangle with increases for shaping or keep it even simpler and make a rectangular stole/shawl/wrap, you could do some rows of dropped stitches to add interest if you feel it needs it. I’d probably stick to garter stitch too. The yarn itself will be interesting enough without a complicated pattern, maybe? I expect she thinks the world of you and a simple hand knit will warm her heart and put a smile on her face.

you’re too kind :wink: thanks for the suggestions. i’ll be giving it another try (or two or three) this weekend…