Have ? pertaining to Double Yarn Twisted Cast-On

Hello everyone. My name is CJ and I have been knitting, crocheting, hairpin lace for almost 3 yrs now and I am still learning. I have just spent 4 hours surfing the net looking for instructions on how to do a Double Yarn Twisted Cast-On. My pattern booklet is not very clear to where I really can understand what they are showing me. Would any of you be able to help me with this new cast on stitch or direct me to the right location? I usually pick up new stitches easy but not this one. I am tired and my eyes are burning from looking at the computer. Thanks for any help.

I’m not really sure if this is what you’re talking about, but I made a video that shows two color longtail cast on.

I think I heard of twisted cast on, and if it is what I think it is, it is also shown in the video. (reverse cast on)

Thanks for the video. The video is using two different colors for the cast on.

The instructions call for 2 strands around the thumb and 1 strand on the index finger. You end up with 2 cast on stitches on your needle and they are somewhat twisted also. I will try to take a pic of what is in my book in the morning so you all can see what I am talking about. Thank you.

Cj

What’s the name of the book? someone might have it and be able to help.

Is it possible you are referring to the twisted German cast-on method:
http://www.knittingonthenet.com/learn/tgcaston.htm

The only difference being you are double stranding it. Let me know as you have piqued my interest.

At about the 1:43 mark, Nancy Bush begins showing what she calls the “double start cast on” This is from a recent Knitting Daily show.

Hello all! I finally was able to scan doc in of what I am talking about. If you are able to view doc please let me know if you are able to knit this cast on. Oh, the pattern booklet is On-Line by Knitting Fever. The booklet # is 18 which just came out this year. It is their spring/summer edition. Thanks all.

cj:muah:

Looked at the instructions you scanned and then the You Tube video with Nancy Bush http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frc5_9AIVy0 and this is the same cast on with “part one and part two” reversed from the instructions that you scanned. I tried them side by side on the needle and they look the same. The video is pretty clear about how you wrap the yarn around your thumb for the first part and then how you wrap it differently for the second part. In the video the cast on is first shown with a single long tail, then it is shown with a double long tail. Using the long tail doubled does make a nice decorative edge. Good Luck.

Okay, that’s just a longtail cast on but with 2 strands for the thumb yarn. That can make the neck of a shawl a little sturdier.

It is, except that you wrap the yarn around your thumb differently for each stitch in the pair, thus making this little bar across the pair of stitches. Just a bit more decorative on the rightside of the cast on.

Then it’s probably like the German twisted cast on with 2 strands for the thumb. There’s a video on the cast on page.