Have hat with 102 stitches divided in 6 sections of 17 stitches

I knitted hat with a chevron pattern that didn’t have directions on decreasing the hat only that it says cast on 102 stitches.
Directions:
Using MC, cast on 102 sts, join to work in the round. Rnd 1-8: *k1, p1; rep from * to end of rnd.
Rnd 9-13: k to end of rnd.
Rnd 14-21: Follow Chevron Chart.
Rep Rnds 14-21: 2 more times. Cut CC, leaving a 6 inch yarn tail.
Cont with MC.
Next 20 rounds: k to the end of rnd. Bind off with gather removal method. Weave ends in. Steam block.

I’ve divided the stitches in 6 section with 17 stitches after every marker . Do I knit all the way until last 2 stitches do a k2tog? Please help I’m new to this.

1 Like

This would be (k15, k2tog) 6x. Next decrease rnd (k14, k2tog) and so on with one stitch less on the following decrease round. The easiest way to do it IMO is to place a marker after each group of 17 sts then decrease using the last two stitches before each marker. This way you only need to count stitches to be sure you’ve not made a mistake. HTH

2 Likes

Is this your pattern?

102 ÷6=17.

So you get 17 repeats of the chart. No decreases or increases needed.

1 Like

Looking at the photo of the finished hat, there are no decreases in the hat. Just bind off all stitches then run a gathering yarn through the top of the hat, pull up tightly and fasten off.

Prize to @GrumpyGramma for answering the question posted by @emidemi11.

I too prefer decreases in the crown of the hat.

1 Like

:blush: Thank you. It’s such a great honor to receive this prize. Words are inadequate to express how I feel. I’m humbled and proud. And thank you to all the little people, the grandkids who inspired me to pursue knitting. (That part’s serious.)

No prize needed but I’ll treasure it just the same. :hearts: I figure a question asked needs an answer. Discussion after that can address many related issues but the question asked needs to be answered first. It’s frustrating when someone asks ‘how do I do such and such’ and the responses don’t address it but something tangential. I’ve done that too many times myself usually because I misunderstood the question. I’ve seen questions about using dpn turning immediately into opportunity to extol the virtues, wonders and benefits, of other ways of knitting in the round and it’s a long time before anyone thinks to answer the actual question or English style knitters being informed unequivocally that Continental style is superior. I don’t recall that happening here. Typically here if the question isn’t addressed directly it seems to be because the responder either misread or simply needs coffee. Or tea. Or whatever. My bias is for coffee. And magic loop and Continental. And hat crowns with decreases unless it’s a tam. :wink:

2 Likes

Yes this is the pattern

Thank you so much for your help! I’ve been going crazy trying to figure this out, I was even looking at knitting calculators to decrease and it didn’t seem to add up when I put in the numbers of stitches and how many stitches to decrease. There’s
was always 1 stitch remaining when I would follow what the calculator would say to decrease. Thank you again for your help :smile:

When I saw your stitch count and number of sections the first thing I did was grab my calculator. It told me you had the numbers correct. After that it’s figuring out how to count for when to do the decreases or simply use markers and use the two stitches before the marker for a k2tog. I remember finally figuring that out, it was an epiphany. Nobody seemed to explain in simplest terms which is what I need. I want the down and dirty, easy to do explanation. For future reference in determining your hat crown decreases - if you want, say, 8 decreases and when you divide 8 into the number of stitches and it’s off a stitch or more you can skip one or more in the first round of decreases if that works (if you have 8 for most but 7 for some sections) or you can work a round before all the other decreases and do a decrease or two (if you have more than 8 in a section or sections) to make it all work thereafter.

I don’t mean to discourage you from asking questions. Ask! I would like to give you opportunity to get on with your knitting instead of waiting for help. Do post a photo of your finished hat please.

Yes this is the pattern, thank you for responding back in this matter. Thank you very much!

Will show finished project when done. Thank you again!

1 Like