Have a Braid running on both sides of Scarf

Hi,

I would like to make a scarf that is all GARTER stitches.

However, I would like both sides of the scarf to have a “braid” running from the top to the bottom and I’m not sure how to do that.

I am thinking that I might have to purl the last stitch on every row and that’s it to make that effect. Should I also purl the first stitch when starting a new row?

Please let me know how to make the effect.
Thankyou!

I’m not certain what you mean by a braid - a cable st maybe, like this one - http://www.helloyarn.com/irishhikingcarf.htm They’re a bit more complicated that just purling the last stitch.

Or maybe you mean a chained edge. Yo do that one by slipping the first stitch on each row.

Yes, I meant a chained edge (your second link)
So all I have to do is slip the first stitch?

Thankyou! I’ll try it today :slight_smile:

Yep, read the blog article I linked to for reference on how to get it to come out smooth. Slipping the edge st doesn’t work for me, but it does for other people.

What I do for a nice chained edge is to slip the first stitch with the yarn in front (move it to the back after for knitting) and knit the last stitch.

Right. Another way - & my fav - when doing garter is when at the last stitch yf (yarn forward); slip that last st purlwise. You’re ready to knit the first st of the next row.

Everyone has their own way. Whatever is the most comfortable for you.

Have fun.