Hats in the round/switching colors

Hi, Everyone,
I’m almost done with a little hat knitted in the round with a pattern that required changing of colors. Now that the pattern part is done, I see that this area of the hat is quite thick. I realize I can’t use intarsia because there is no pearl side. But it seems like the way I did it isn’t great. I’m wondering if there is another way to do this. The hat has 3 scottie dogs marching around, so the pattern is basically 3 areas where there is a lot of black used and a little of the background color.

I welcome suggestions.
Myrna

If I understand you correctly, you stranded the 2 colors across the back of your work? That will be thicker than you think, no matter what. A little press with a steam iron will flatten it out, but don’t flat-out iron it. Stranding is supposed to be thicker. But, it will be very warm on whoever wears it.

Yes, I stranded it across the back and it sure will be warm. Do you think there is any other way to do this type of design without so much stranding on a circular needle?
Myrna

You could do intarsia, but work back and forth up to the end of that section and in the round for the rest of the hat. You’ll have a partial seam.

You could Swiss darn the design in. What Ingrid suggested would probably be much easier, and look better in the long run, but you’d have a seamline on the inside of the hat, which might be uncomfortable to the wearer.

I’m afraid I don’t understand how I’d do the pattern on straight needles and the hat on a circular. There are 3 areas in the hat where I’d need this. Ouch!

I pictured the dogs around the edge. You could knit the whole hat flat.:shrug:

That might be a solution. Do you think I can take the same pattern and instead of circulars, use straight? Or do I need to find another pattern?

I think you could use the same pattern, just turn and purl when you would begin a new round.