Hats are always too big

:shrug: if the things I knit always tend to be too big should I just drop a needle size smaller than the pattern calls for to correct the problem, it mainly occurs with hats, I am beginning to think I have a really small head.
thanks

Just giving your post a bump back up

I have seen on here where someone has posted a link to making hats by knowing your gauge and head circumferance, but I do not have it. Maybe someone else has seen it and knows the web site. It also had help on how to adjust the pattern.

What pattern are you using? What yarn and how many are you CO?

Adjusting the needle size might work if you are a loose knitter, but you can also adjust by casting on less stitches. Give this site a try and see if it helps you figure it out.

http://www.mielkesfarm.com/bsic_hat.htm

hi, realized after I posted this that I did save the hat formula page, forgot that i had it and forged ahead on my own …big mistake, the hat is called groovy moms chunky ribbed hat, I used 2 strands of worsted yarn and size 6.5 mm straight needles , the pattern called for US size 10, and you were to cast on 84 stitches which i did and ended up with a hat that would fit 2 people …i will use the formula from now on,stupid me
thanks for reminding me to follow your help

Wear your hats liek keira nightly
she wears them baggy and lets the hat flop back a bit.

get the keira look!

crazy aunt purls hat recipe
this is a funny read and you could easily alter it to include a ribbed brim, cables…just whatever you can think of… ejoy! :heart: