Hate this pattern

This is a pattern of a poncho…beautiful …found at joannes.com
but doesn’t make sense if anyone can explain this pattern would be most appreciative…

Border Pattern (multiple of 2 sts + 1)
Row 1 (RS) *K 1, slip 1 with yarn in back; repeat from *, ending k 1.
Row 2 (WS) Knit.
Repeat these 2 rows for Border Pattern.

Cable Pattern (multiple of 15 sts)
Rows 1, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13 and 15 (RS) (P 3, k 3) twice, p 3.
Row 2 and all WS rows Knit the knit sts and purl the purl sts.
Row 9 (RS) P 3, place next 3 sts on cable needle and hold to front, knit the next 3 purl sts, purl the next 3 knit sts, knit 3 sts from cable needle, p 3.
Row 16 (WS) Repeat Row 2.
Repeat Rows 1-16 for Cable Pattern.

BACK
With larger needles, loosely cast on 53 sts. Beg with Row 2 (WS), work in Border Pattern for 7 rows.

Set-up Row (RS) Work Border Pattern over first 7 sts, work 22 sts in St st, place marker and establish cable sts as follows: p 2, (p 1, k 1) in next st (inc made), k 2, p 2, (p 1, k 1) in next st, k 2, p 3, place marker (end of cable sts), work 8 sts in St st, work Border Pattern over last 3 sts - 55 sts. ???
this cable stich doesnt make sense to me please someone needs to explain this to me???so lost… :?? :??

Set-up Row (RS) Work Border Pattern over first 7 sts, work 22 sts in St st, place marker and establish cable sts as follows: p 2, (p 1, k 1) in next st (inc made), k 2, p 2, (p 1, k 1) in next st, k 2, p 3, place marker (end of cable sts), work 8 sts in St st, work Border Pattern over last 3 sts - 55 sts.

You cast on 53 stitches and work the border pattern for 7 rows starting with a WS row.

Then you work your set up row which lays out the stitches for the pattern.

7 st border; 22 st st; pm; p2, (p1,k1)in next st–an increase; k2, p2, (p1,k1) in next stitch - another increase; k2, p3, pm, 8 st st, borker over 3.

You’ve increased 2 stitches in the set up row, so now you have 55.

Then you start working the rows as written.

The area between the markers is where you’ll work the cable rows.

Does this answer your question?

No this is still not making sense to me…usually no problem with patterns but l cant see where your gaining two stickes…thanks so much for answering… :blush:

When you (p1,k1) into one stitch, you’re making an increase. Purl into the stitch without sliding it off, then bring the yarn between the needles to the back and knit into the same stitch, then slide it off. You’ll have two stitches where there was one.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :thinking:

It’s a bar increase. Usually you knit into the front and back, or purl into the front and back, but in this case you purl and knit into the one stitch.

I think l’ve got it…l am not used to patterns…but not with this meaning…so when the brackets are like this your doing it to one stitch??? :smiley:

(p 1, k 1) in next st (inc made)

When something is in brackets, you do what it says right after the brackets.

Sometimes a pattern will say (k2, yo, k2tog)three times, then you’d do what’s in the bracket 3 times.

In this case the (p1,k1) is in the bracket and the directions immediately after are in next stitch so you do those in the next stitch. In this case, it also tells you that an increase has been made so you know that you’re doing an increase.

I do understand about the brackets but l have not done a pattern that had that inc. made …l love this site…l am so looking forward to making this poncho…l cant give up and with people around like you to help…it should be a success…thank you again…l hope you dont mind if l have a problem with the cable stitches could l just yell help? :XX:

You can yell HELP any time, night or day. Someone is always around to help. :thumbsup:

Well, l dont like to throw in the towel…the bull is charging l have taken out started it too many times…it has beaten me…well l will just stare at it and think l can …l think l can…but l think it is not meant to be…l have done beautiful things with the cable stitching and love it but this pattern just makes me…crasy…don’t understand what stiches to put on the cable and then what to do with them once they are there…thanks to Ingrid for explaining the inc stitches…but l feel like l have just started out and or all thumbs …so if anyone does this pattern pls send photo… :crying: it is at joann.com

Set-up Row (RS) Work Border Pattern over first 7 sts, work 22 sts in St st, place marker and establish cable sts as follows: p 2, (p 1, k 1) in next st (inc made), k 2, p 2, (p 1, k 1) in next st, k 2, p 3, place marker (end of cable sts), work 8 sts in St st, work Border Pattern over last 3 sts - 55 sts.

On the Set up row, you’re not doing anything with cables, except increasing in those stitches.

Then, after the set up is complete, you start working the cable rows from the pattern.

Cable Pattern (multiple of 15 sts)
Rows 1, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13 and 15 (RS) (P 3, k 3) twice, p 3.
Row 2 and all WS rows Knit the knit sts and purl the purl sts.
Row 9 (RS) P 3, place next 3 sts on cable needle and hold to front, knit the next 3 purl sts, purl the next 3 knit sts, knit 3 sts from cable needle, p 3.
Row 16 (WS) Repeat Row 2.
Repeat Rows 1-16 for Cable Pattern.

The only row where you work a cable is on row 9. For that you p3, then place the next 3 stitches on a cable needle (or dpn) and let them stay at the front of the knitting. Knit the next three from the left needle, then the 3 from the cable needle. Amy has videos of cables, too.

The other rows of the ‘cable’ pattern are pretty straightforward.

Wait WAIT! Don’t give up. You CAN do it.

Just take one little piece at a time! Don’t try to see the whole thing at once…that’s when it might become overwhelming. If you’ve got the “increases” and how to do them, that’s great.

Now, you’ll just be separating the stitches so that you’ll have markers telling you where the cable will be worked on subsequent rows.

SO, the whole row would go:
K1, sl 1, K1, sl 1, K1, sl 1, K1 (the first 7 stitches in the pattern already established)
then, since this is a right side (RS) row, KNIT 22 sts
put a marker on your right needle
the next 13 stitches (which will become 15 stitches due to the 2 increases) are the stitches which will be the cable pattern, so you follow the directions in the italics
establish cable sts as follows: p 2, [(p 1, k 1) in next st (inc made)], k 2, p 2, [(p 1, k 1) in next st (inc made)], k 2, p 3, (end of cable sts),
place the second marker on your right needle
then KNIT 8 sts
then K1, sl 1, K1.

Does this help at all?

GOOD LUCK & don’t give up!
:wink:

Thank you trying for a while to look on internet to see where going sooo wrong…l cant give up it is not in me…
when it tells me to establish cables l am thinking okay this is where to start but not making sense to me…

So l am trying again…and again until l get it… :rollseyes:

Yes l am looking ahead…my husband keeps telling me to breath…but l ove this pattern and with help from you two…and yes this is most helpful l keep getting ahead of myself…thank you there are more questions but once l fix the mess l made l will be back…l am a such a freshmen…

Can u believe already there but though something still not right and took apart again so once there might holler again… :blush:

When they say that you are establishing cable stitches, you’re not actually making a cable, you’re laying the groundwork for later on when you do the cables. You’re placing the markers so that you’ll know where the cables stitches go in the row, and you’re adding those two stitches because cables take up more space and stitches are added so the fabric doesn’t pull in.

You don’t actually do a cable cross-over until row 9 of the cable instructions, so if it looks like plain knitting now, it should.