Hat question

Hello Everyone,

I’ve been knitting for several years (on and off) but I am new to this community. I am stuck on a pattern for a baby hat that a friend of my grandmother gave me. From looking at the end of the pattern (photo attached), I think the hat should be knit in the round using double pointed needles - (no directions to sew a seam; rather, draw the long end of the yarn through remaining stitches and draw up tightly). However, during the body of the pattern, it talks about a right side and a wrong side, with rows alternating between knitting and pearling. I can’t make heads nor tails of how I am supposed to knit this. Should I just knit as written using DPNs - in the round? Or am I supposed to knit it straight using circular needles, which would make sense of a right and wrong side…?

I have already completed the rib stitch and just started the main body, but I don’t want to go any further until I can confirm what I’m supposed to be doing - I am using DPNs and working in the round…

Any ideas please?

Thank you so much!
Joanna

Welcome!
Yes, no directions to seam. On the other hand, no directions to join to knit in the round and directions given in rows not rounds. Do you have a photo of the finished hat or a pattern name?

I’m glad I’m not the only one seeing these discrepancies!
Here is the photo on the back of the pattern. It’s all I have and it’s not great quality. There is no name to the pattern and I suspect it’s rather old and from Australia.

Perhaps I should just keep knitting and see where it takes me…? Thoughts?

Thank you!

Difficult to say for sure but to me it looks like it’s knit in rows. Gather the sts at the end and use the long tail to seam.

LOL, of course! Because I’ve already been knitting it in the round!! Oh well. Maybe I can turn it into another hat and start over. Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Well, as I say, I’m not absolutely sure so if the hat pattern looks nice, you might continue as you’re doing. If it’s just the hat, it doesn’t have to match up to the sweater (if that’s even the case). You’re working on the design frontier, here.

LOL - I’m not brave enough to make the sweater. I’ll go ahead with the hat and see what it brings. If nothing else, it’s always good practice. Thanks!