Hat help!

I am working on a brimmed hat using the popcorn stitch. I’m pretty new to knitting and this is the most challenging project I have tried. I am working on shaping the crown and the instructions read:
Row 1(RS)- P1 [sl 1, p4tog, psso, p15] 8 times, p1 (130sts). Work 3 rows.
Row 5- P1 [sl1, p4tog, psso, p11] 8 times, p1 (98sts). Work 3 rows.

I did row 1 and had 130 stitches at the end, but how can I work 3 more rows when doing this reduces the number of stitches each time?

I appreciate the help!

You’re to work 3 rows plain without the decreases, then on R 5 you decrease again and are left with 98 sts, then you do another 3 rows plain.

no, you do not need to come out with 130 each time. this is just the check up sum for the first row.
see, in 5 you only have 98 stitches left, after you are done with it.
So the decreases are just not specified in the individual rows.

Keep going with the stitch.

Have fun with your hat!

Okay, so I should follow the directions for Row 1 and then do three rows of just purling? The hat is a popcorn or bramble stitch pattern.

For the body of the hat the pattern was
Row 1: purl
Row 2: p1 *(k1, p1, k1) all into next st, p3tog; rep from * to last st, p1
Row 3: purl
Row 4: p1, *p3tog, (k1, p1, k1) all into next st; rep from * to last st, p1
I followed that pattern for 26 rows ending with row 2 of the pattern. Then I started the part I am struggling with.

So when it says work three rows which three rows should I work to keep the popcorn stitch the rest of the way through the hat as I am decreasing stitches?

do row 1 and then 3 more rows of that pattern. not just knit or purl.

I think the pattern is the same as raspberry stitch. one side of 3 into 3 // 3 tog and then other side of purl all.

WAIT, I just got it…

you work that row, then 3 rows of your pattern, then row 5.

because: if row 1 is on RS (I assume) then it just replaces the purl of your pattern.

because: row 1 ends on 130 stitches. Then row 5 decreases by another 32 stitches and your count comes out.

Do the 3 rows in the stitch pattern, not all purls or all knits or a combination. Then do Decrease R1, and rows 2, 3 and 4 in the Bramble stitch pattern, then decrease R 5. I think.