Has anyone ever heard of this?


I recently got a 2007 calendar called Knitting in a box and every day has a different pattern. I was going through it and found the cutest pair of slippers called Aunt Dana’s Russian Boots which I want to try. But, of course, as I always do, I ran into something I do not know how to do. Here is what she says:

Note about M1: Because these increases are made every round, the best increase is what Montse Stanley calls a “pinhole” increase, i.e. knit into the horizontal strand between the 2nd and 3rd stitch from the marker. Do not twist this strand. If you twist this strand the resulting stitches are too tight.

Now I found instructions for making one in the horizontal strand but one says it twists to the right and one says it twists to the left. I assume she doesn’t want this kind that twists so does anyone know what she does want. I can’t find anything on the Internet to state what this type of “pinhole” increase is. So I need to know how to knit into this horizontal strand without twisting it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi & Welcome!

I’m sure you could find something here:
that might suit!

Good Luck,


First of all, welcome to the forum! :cheering: Okay, now onto business…

The pinhole increase doesn’t have different “right” and “left” versions. Just knit (or purl if you are on the purl side) into the horizontal strand between the last st and next st. If you go to Amy’s page on increases (see dplantlady’s link above), look at the video for “decorative increase.”

Explanation: The pinhole (aka decorative, aka running thread depending on the book you look at) increase creates a hole – twisted versions attempt to close the hole, making the increase less obvious. Depending on which way you twist the strand, you will end up with either a right or left slanting stitch. When the goal is symmetrical increases, this means that you’ll have to take care to do one kind on right side and the opposite one on the left side. For the pinhole increase, this isn’t a problem because you leave the hole there, without trying to close it up. For your reference, the twisted versions are usually called M1R and M1L.

Thank you, thank you, Jane, for such a great explanation. You are a gem. I just LOVE knittinghelp.com. It has been such a help to me. I ordered the CD because I want to have it with me ALWAYS!! I think it’s so great for someone to take the time to put up a site like this and take the time to instruct novice knitters like me how to do things. What a help!!! For people like me that taught herself to knit, it’s a God-send. :cheering: