Has anyone done this pattern stitch?

She calls it Woven Stitch, but when I’ve looked elsewhere for “Woven Stitch”, it’s something completely different <sigh>… It’s supposed to make up into a very dense fabric.

Make up 45 stitches. Knit the first row.

Now start the pattern (odd numbers are the front of work):

Row 1: Slip 1, slip one, knit the next stitch from behind the slipped stitch, now knit the first one slip one.
Row 2: Slip 1, pearl 1, slip one, pearl the next one to the front of the slipped stitch, now pearl the first one, pearl 1, slip one.
Keep doing this throughout the work.

I found it [color=blue]here[/color].

I’ve tried two small swatches, and I haven’t a clue whether I’m understanding the (rather cryptic, IMHO) directions…

If anyone’s done this before, perhaps you could help, or maybe point me to a clearer picture of what it’s supposed to look like.

Thanks for any help.
:thinking:

Diane

It looks like you’re essentially doing two-stitch cables, if that makes sense. Imagine doing the slips onto a cable needle instead of your regular needle, then holding the cable needle in front to knit the stitch behind it, then knitting off the cable needle. For row 2, then, imagine holding the slipped stitch and the cable needle in back, purling the stitch in front, and then going back and purling off the cable needle. It looks like this is what’s happening, only there’s no mention of the cable needle.

That’s how I read it, anyway. Does that make sense?

Well, THAT certainly makes more sense to me than the directions as written…I’m gonna try swatching it that way & see what that looks like.

I’ve written to the author, but haven’t heard anything back yet.

Anyone else have a “take” on this pattern?

Diane :??

It sounds as if the pattern should have said, skip the first stitch, and then knit behind it. If you slip it, it’s on your right needle, and it doesn’t say to slip it back. :thinking:

This is a true woven stitch, from what I remember, where you’re basically knitting each row twice–doing a knit, slip, then a slip knit.

It looks like the one you’re doing is a series of twists.

It kind of reminds me of the stitch done on the bottom, cuffs, and collar of Cinxia. :thinking: If it’s the same, it’s a beautiful stitch and well worth the work!

:rollseyes:

This is getting kinda funny…in a frustrating sort of way…but also a very eureka sort of experience, too…absolutely stunning what you can do with 2 needles and a bit of yarn, you know?

It’s really amazing to me how MANY permutations & interpretations of one set of directions there can be!!!

I’ve got now 5 different (tiny) swatches…he he (at least the latest 3 I did in a light color yarn so I could SEE what was happening…)

Tried treating it as a 2-st cable, interesting but had holes…

Tried Ingrid’s suggestion of skipping rather than slipping, one time knitting through the back of the loop on the stitch “behind” the one I was “skipping” on the left needle and purling in front. That gave a sort of zigzag effect, but it too had holes in it…

Then I tried knitting the 2nd st in the front of the loop, then did the 1st st (slipping them both off ar the same time)… and that’s creating this VERY COOL effect (DAMN, I wish I had my own digital camera already…) where on the “knit” side the stitches are leaning diagonally to the right, magically appearing from nowhere on the left side & “disappearing” on the right, and it IS very dense! I also scrapped the opening part & just did a slip one for the 1st st.

Even if it’s not right, I LOVE this!!!

WOW!!!

Diane

I’m glad you love it!! I wish we could see what you’re doing! :wink:

Just went back & looked at the (very dark) photo.

From what I can see in the light stripes, what I’ve done isn’t “right”…but I think I’ll at least write down what I have discovered? so I’ll remember it!

Hope I’ll hear something from Chavie Fiszer, the author.

Meanwhile, if anyone else has suggestions, I’m willing to do lotsa tiny swatches…

Carry on…

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program …:frog: frogging a few rows of Counterpane to figure out where I lost 2 stitches…arrrrrghhhhh!

Diane

Just went back & looked at the (very dark) photo.

From what I can see in the light stripes, what I’ve done isn’t “right”…but I think I’ll at least write down what I have discovered? so I’ll remember it!

Hope I’ll hear something from Chavie Fiszer, the author.

Meanwhile, if anyone else has suggestions, I’m willing to do lotsa tiny swatches…

Carry on…

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program … :frog: …frogging a few rows of Counterpane to figure out where I lost 2 stitches…arrrrrghhhhh!

Diane

Here 'tis if anyone wants to try it…tried to attach this as both a text file & an htm file…no joy.

Dense Diagonal

Odd # of stitches

(I’ve tried starting out right after casting on, and that looks OK & can be done IF you’ve cast on your stitches loosely enough. You do get a little bump in between stitches, though. I also tried it starting out with a row of all just purl stitches, and that looks real good. No bumps, very nice edge—used Long Tail, aka Double, aka Continental cast on.)

Row 1: Sl 1, knit 2nd st on left needle through the front loop without removing it, then knit the 1st stitch & remove both of them together, repeat.
Row 2: Sl 1, purl 2nd st on left needle through the front loop without removing it, then purl the 1st stitch & remove both of them together, repeat.

[[You really don’t wanna do this if you knit tight…so hey, LOOSEN UP!!!]]
:lol: