Grrrr!

Does anybody have “Hats Gloves Scarves” by Louisa Harding? I’m trying to make the hat on page 75 for my mom for Christmas, and I’m stuck on the wrap stitch row. Here are the directions:

Row 3: [K1, P1] 4 times, wrap st, turn.
Row 4: [P1, K1] 4 times.
Row 5: [K1, P1] 10, times K1.

Row 5 makes sense since there are 21 stitches per row. I’m confused about rows 3 and 4. Neither add up to 21. What am I doing wrong? It’s so bloody frustrating!!!

I want to scrap the whole thing, knit an i-cord and hang myself with it!

on row 3, you wrap and turn. so it makes sense that row 4 doesn’t count up to the total of stitches.
About wrapping, I can’t tell you much, since I never did that, but you should look it up somewhere, or wait for someone more qualified than me to answer :slight_smile:

So you’re in south korea? I’m from south korea myself, though I don’t speak korean ,… :slight_smile:

EDIT: From seoul, I just saw that you’re in seoul as well :smiley:

Relax, you’re not losing your mind. :slight_smile: You’re doing short rows, they’re not meant to add up to 21. There’s a graet video on this site that demonstrates short rows- I think it’s under advanced techniques. Watch it a few times and it will all make sense. And if not, come back and we’ll help you! :slight_smile:

Oh short rows, I’m afraid of shortrows… but I was afraid of provisional cast on as well, until I did it… It’s really easy,… just sounds undoable…
I did a prov. cast on with 120 stitches, quite a lot, but it went quite quickly with the method I used.

I guess everything sounds intimidating until you try it and get the hang of it. Maybe I even did short rows without knowing, because I also had some things where I just knit a few stitches, then turned, but what wrapping means, I’m still in the dark…

Thanks everybody! I figured it out! I didn’t realized they were short rows. I was going to delete this thread but since everybody responded. Thanks!

That book has great scarf patterns, but the hat patterns aren’t very clear (at least to my noob brain).

Yeah, man. I’ve been in Seoul for six years and I’m going home for the first time this Xmas. I wanted to wow everybody with my mad knitting skills, but, well, we know the extent of that, don’t we. :smiley:

Oh we know the extent of that just too well :smiley:

How is it in seoul? Any snow? Weather-wise?

At the moment I’m blocking a scarf I did in fingering yarn, own pattern. Was more experimental, but after all it looks quite intricate. (The way I love patterns… easy to knit but looking intricate)
There might still be a lack of coherence, but more about that later…

Don’t delete a thread or question once you have it figured out. Someone else may be wanting an answer to the same or similar question, so the answers may help them.

Surprisingly warm. It “snowed” a couple of times a couple of weeks ago, but nothing to freak about.

Blocking is something I’m terrified to do. Guess that’s why I’ve been sticking with easy stuff like scarves, kerchiefs, and hats.

You didn’t block your scarves?!

I block ALL my scarves, even though the yarn is acrylic, and unblockable, except steam-blocking…

But blocking really is easy, now I just need blocking wires… or some other long things, to block the things in rectangular shape,…
Because for now, everything is scalloped…
Because of the needles… Not as effective as blocking wires for blocking straight scarves…

I don’t know how. I’m scared something will screw up and all my work will be for nothing.

I don’t block scarves or much of anything. I did semi-block my entrelac scarf and some lace, but that’s about it. With acrylic, I just throw the items in the wash and the stitches even out just fine. Many people don’t block, not even sweaters. Very fine lace is about the only thing that really [B]needs[/B] blocking. However, there’s no need to fear that it’ll mess things up, it’s not permanent. Sometimes blocking is nothing more than just washing and laying flat to dry.

True. If it doesn’t look right after blocking, just wet it and block it again…