Green baby booties

source:http://www.ivillage.co.uk/homegarden/homemaking/crafts/articles/0,,695942_711717,00.html

please help: my questions in [COLOR=“Red”]RED[/COLOR]!!
can someone please help me understand this pattern, i am so lost

soles (Work 2 pieces)
Cast on 5 [7:8] sts. 1st Row. (this will be the right side of the work -rs). Knit. Continue in garter stitch as follows:- Work 6 rows increasing 1 st at each end of 2nd and every following alternate row. You will now have 11 [13:14] sts on the needle. Work 13 [13:15] rows without shaping. Work 8 [12:8] rows decreasing 1 st at each end of 1st and following 0 [6th:0] row. You will now have 9 [9:12] sts on the needle.
[COLOR=“Red”]how many rows in total? it says first row with 5 stitches and then for 6 rows does that add up to 7 rows? and it says increasing 1 st at each end of 2nd and every alternating row. so for every alternating row i have to add stitch in begining and end of the row . m i correct? then 13 more rows? and working more 8 rows decreasing in what manner? i dont get that. and so total how many rows these will be? and for increase can I YO?[/COLOR]
For 3rd size only
Work 6 rows decreasing 1 st at each end of 1st row. You will now have [10] sts on the needle.

For all 3 sizes
Work 6 rows decreasing 1 st at each end of 1st and following 4th row. You will now have 5 [5:6] sts on the needle. Cast off remaining 5 [5:6] sts.

Cast on 43 [51:57] sts. 1st Row. (this will be the right side of the work -rs). Knit. Continue in garter stitch as follows:- Work 5 rows. Work 4 rows decreasing 1 st at each end of 1st row. You will now have 41 [49:55] sts on the needle. Work 2 [4:6] rows decreasing 1 st at each end of next and every following 0 [2nd:2nd] row. You will now have 39 [45:49] sts on the needle. Next Row. Cast off 2 [3:3] sts, knit to last 2 sts, k2tog. You will now have 36 [41:45] sts on the needle. Next Row. Cast off 2 [3:3] sts, knit to last 2 sts, k2tog. You will now have 33 [37:41] sts on the needle. Next Row. Cast off 3 [4:4] sts, knit to last 2 sts, k2tog. You will now have 29 [32:36] sts on the needle. Next Row. Cast off 3 [4:4] sts, knit to last 2 sts, k2tog. You will now have 25 [27:31] sts on the needle. ** Work 13 [15:15] rows more without shaping. Cast off remaining 25 [27:31] sts.

This is how I would do it:

Let’s just say that you’re working the smallest pattern.

So you cast on 5 stitches and knit them (row 1) (5 stitches)
Row 2: K1, increase 1, K3, increase 1, K1 (7 stitches)
Row 3: Knit all stitches
Row 4: Knit 1, increase 1, K5, increase 1, K1 (9 stitches)
Row 5: Knit all stitches
Row 6: Knit 1, increase 1, K7, increase 1, K1 (11 stitches)

Knit even for next 13 rows

Row 20: K2 tog, K7, ssk (9 stitches)
Row 21: K2 tog, K5, ssk (7 stitches)
Row 22: Knit all stitches
Row 23: Knit all stitches
Row 24: K2 tog, K3, ssk (5 stitches)
Cast Off 5 stitches

Don’t do a YO to increase unless you want a lace-like hole in your work. Put your right needle into the stitch on the left needle through the back of the stitch, pull the yarn through and place that loop onto the left needle (without taking the original stitch off the needle) and knit it, then knit the next stitch, etc.

That’s how I’m reading it. Maybe someone more experienced sees it different. Hope I helped a little.

Thank you :):hug: :heart:

You’re very welcome.

i m stuck again :frowning: i followed the pattern as explained when i asked. now i am stuck on the other half :frowning:
. can some one again please simplify it for me. i am lost . i dont even understand how many rows in total there are.
if the first row is knit. are they telling me to knit the 5 rows without decrease or they are saying for next 5 rows i will decrease in rows? and what type of decrease i have to do . i am so lost with everything. and i want to complete it now. can some one please please simplify it for me for each row. and how many rows in total? Crossed Fingers
here what it is
[COLOR=“SeaGreen”]Cast on 43 [51:57] sts. 1st Row. (this will be the right side of the work -rs). Knit. Continue in garter stitch as follows:- Work 5 rows. Work 4 rows decreasing 1 st at each end of 1st row. You will now have 41 [49:55] sts on the needle. Work 2 [4:6] rows decreasing 1 st at each end of next and every following 0 [2nd:2nd] row. You will now have 39 [45:49] sts on the needle. Next Row. Cast off 2 [3:3] sts, knit to last 2 sts, k2tog. You will now have 36 [41:45] sts on the needle. Next Row. Cast off 2 [3:3] sts, knit to last 2 sts, k2tog. You will now have 33 [37:41] sts on the needle. Next Row. Cast off 3 [4:4] sts, knit to last 2 sts, k2tog. You will now have 29 [32:36] sts on the needle. Next Row. Cast off 3 [4:4] sts, knit to last 2 sts, k2tog. You will now have 25 [27:31] sts on the needle. ** Work 13 [15:15] rows more without shaping. Cast off remaining 25 [27:31] sts.[/COLOR]

Crossed Fingers Crossed Fingers please help!!!:waah:

At the beginning, after casting on, the first row you will knit and that will be the ‘right side’ of the work.

Then, they are saying to knit 5 rows even (no changes to the number of stitches).

Next, you will knit 4 rows, but the first of those 4 rows will have a one stitch decrease at the beginning and end of that row. Rows 2, 3 and 4 will be knit even (no changes to the number of stitches).

As far as the type of decrease, that all depends on what you want to accomplish. I like to do my decreases one stitch in from the edge, to make it slightly easier to seam.

I also like to do my decreases in such a way that when the right side is facing, the decrease at the beginning of the row will slant to the left (toward the center of the work) and the decrease at the end of the row will slant toward the right). There are a number of difference decreases, and whether they are worked on the right side of the work or the wrong side of the work, preference, and if the pattern indicates the type of decrease, all go toward determining which decrease I choose for any given project.

what is this saying?
[COLOR=“Red”]Cast off 2 [3:3] st[/COLOR]s, knit to last 2 sts, k2tog. You will now have 36 [41:45] sts on the needle. Next Row. [COLOR=“Red”]Cast off 2 [3:3] sts[/COLOR], knit to last 2 sts, k2tog. You will now have 33 [37:41] sts on the needle. Next Row. [COLOR=“Red”]Cast off 3 [4:4] sts[/COLOR], knit to last 2 sts, k2tog. You will now have 29 [32:36] sts on the needle. Next Row. [COLOR=“Red”]Cast off 3 [4:4] sts[/COLOR], knit to last 2 sts, k2tog. You will now have 25 [27:31] sts on the needle. ** Work 13 [15:15] rows more without shaping. Cast off remaining 25 [27:31] sts.

[COLOR=“Red”]i am lost once again with these casting off???[/COLOR]:doh: :??

Casting off means the same as binding off. It is one way of decreasing the number of stitches on your needle. Your pattern calls for three sizes, and depending on which size you are doing, you will pick that number of stitches to cast off/bind off. For example in the first instruction, it says cast off 2 [3:3]. This means if you were following the instructions for the smallest size, at that point you would cast off/bind off 2 stitches. If you are making the medium or large size, for both of those sizes you would cast off/bind off 3 stitches at the beginning of that row.

[Casting Off/Binding Off](Casting Off/Binding Off)

Thanks. i understood casting off. but i had no clue why it was saying casting off like sitches in rows when it’s not finished. so thanks for leting me know it is used as decrease technique as well. :thumbsup:

by the way if ts saying cast off 2 stitches i will drop off twice right (casting off way) i just dont wanna mess up and i want to be sure before i do it. :think:

Yes, you would have two less stitches on your needle after having cast off 2. Casting off stitches creates more of a 90 degree angle at the edge of the work, whereas decreasing (or increasing) creates shaping that is more subtle because the work just slants inward (or outward). Casting off gets rid of stitches in a less subtle manner.

Often when shaping armholes in a sweater, for example, the pattern will first call for casting off a certain number of stitches (to make the ‘cut in’ at the armhole), and then the subsequent rows will just have the stitches decreased so the shaping is more gradual.

Thanks a bunchhh:muah: