Grafting wedges

Ok, so I made the first wedge for a hat I’m trying to make. I need to make several more, but when I read the finishing instructions, I got very confused.
I did not use any waste yarn to cast on, I just did a regular cast on. Can I just sew the wedges together?

[I]FINISHING
Break yarn, leaving a 1-yard tail. Thread tail on yarn needle.

Remove waste yarn from CO edge and place resulting live sts on needle, beginning from center of hat (so that tip of needle is at outer edge).

Hold needles parallel, with needle with working yarn attached held to the front, with needle tips pointing to the right.

Graft seam as follows:

Step 1: Insert needle into first stitch on front needle from back to front, as if to purl.
Step 2: Insert needle into first stitch on back needle from front to back, as if to knit. Drop first stitch from back needle.
Step 3: Insert needle into first stitch on back needle from back to front, as if to purl.
Step 4: Insert needle into first stitch on front needle from front to back, as if to knit. Drop first stitch from front needle.
Repeat Steps 1-4 until all sts have been grafted.[/I]

Sure, you can sew them together. They won’t look quite like the picture you have of your hat. The grafting makes an invisible seam. But it should still work.

Actually in the photo of the hat provided, the seams are very visible and bulky (on purpose, I think). We’ll see how it turns out :smiley:

Thanks!