Got curious - can you unravel shop bought socks?

Has anyone tried? I have too much yarn already, I know, but feel it’s a shame to just throw them out if they could be recycled. Especially as I’m one of those people who buy the ones with cute designs rather than plain colours, which would make projects look more interesting when knitted up again. I know the yarn itself would be very thin so I’d probably carry it with another yarn.
I did try google but only got answers about unravelling shop bought jumpers, which I already know about and have done lol.

I know of one way to find out: try it and see if it works. I expect mass produced socks are knit cuff down but don’t know. Pulling the yarn in the right direction would matter.

1 Like

I’ll pick out an old pair of socks later and report my findings! I’m thinking the designs are actually going to be a pain to unravel but we will see.

1 Like

So, either I got a dud sock or it’s not really possible to unravel commercial knit socks (most likely the latter lol). That’s a shame but not all that surprising.

1 Like

I’ve wondered about raveling store bought socks but since I buy cotton socks and really wear them out before I’m done with them I never tried. I remember as a kid we could have old socks and cut the cuff off then cut holes to make armholes for doll clothes. Mostly they stayed knitted. I expect they’ve developed some stitch to prevent small holes from becoming huge holes too quickly. I’m glad you explored this and shared about it. Thanks!

1 Like