Good Sock yarn?

I’m planning my first pair of socks. I just need to get the right sort of yarn!
I’m not looking for varigated colours, so…any plain ones are good.

Any suggestions, please?

try smiley’s (smileys.com)

they have cerrvinia calzeterria sock yarn at $3 a ball (2 to 3 balls needed for a pair of socks (medium sock 2/large socks, (tall or wide) 3 balls.

still, its under $10 for sock yarn

70%superwash wool/30%nylon, lots of solid colors.

or look for Paton’s Kroy sock yarn… it too comes in wide range of solid colors, and its under $10 for enough yarn for a pair of socks.

kroy is a bit thinner, the calzetteria is a bit thicker (you can use size 2 needles)

I think you meant smileysyarns.com. The other url took me to an emoticons webpage. :teehee:

Rats…couldn’t find the patons, and the minimum order is $40. :frowning:

Minimum order is 40?
D:

No way. xD I’m a poor 14 year old.
Any other options? xD

Try this thread…

Thanks. =]

Anyways. Gotta get to school now. Only had one snow day. =[

Which do you think would be a better yarn for socks?

elann.com peruvian baby silk or elann.com peruvian baby cashmere?
How do you tell whats a good sock yarn?

Either one would be ok since they’re mostly animal fiber. Sock yarn needs to have a bit of elasticity thats why most preferred sock yarns have a small percentage of nylon in the blend. Otherwise the sock will get stretched out and loose fitting while wearing it. You can certainly use a 100% animal fiber blend since animal fibers are a little elastic too. The baby cashmere would probably be better since silk doesn’t stretch, but the baby silk is only 20% silk so it’s not a huge issue. But the fibers in both of these are delicate so I don’t know how long these socks would hold up. You could knit with a strand of nylon thread to add strength and elasticity! :slight_smile:

Personally, my favorite blend for socks is a wool/cotton/nylon or a wool/nylon blend. I like Jawoll Lang, Dale of Norway Baby Ull, Regia, Sockotta, Lornas Laces, Cascade Fixation and Knit Picks’ Essential or their Bare Superwash/Nylon blend :slight_smile:

=]
Thanks so much Silver.