Glove pattern

Dear all

There is always a first time for everything, after knitting hundreds of socks, I thought it might be nice to have a change and do gloves.
I found this pattern: http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=117&d_id=10&lang=us

But a little bit miffed at the instructions where it says:
When piece measures 7 cm / 2¾’’ work next round as follows: [U]P4, K2, P4, K2 in each of the next 2 sts (i.e. K2 becomes K4 – this is mid upper glove), continue with P4/K2 as before = 44 sts.[/U]
Does anyone have a clue what they mean by that?

Thank you
Nathalie x :slight_smile:

I dunno about the ‘mid/upper glove’ thing, it may be explained in following rows. But have you just tried the round, doing an increase in 2 sts and knit the next part to see what happens there? Sometimes it works out just following the pattern and then you see what they mean.

The pattern started with 42 stitches and that row is supposed to have 44 so the pattern wants you to p4 k2 p4 m1 m1 and then continue in pattern, ie knit the knits and purl the purls for the rest of the row.

Thank you girls, I knew you would be able to solve the riddle…I followed Limenblack increase.
The pattern is getting more and more confusing:
Work next round as follows: P2,[U] M.1[/U], P2 [COLOR=“Blue”]and rib as before on remaining 20 sts[/COLOR] - [U]insert a marker in the second of these rib-sts [/U](= thumb st). [COLOR=“Red”](I am guessing here that M.1 is make 1 and NOT miss 1? - please let me know what you think,))[/COLOR]
[COLOR=“Blue”]That section makes no sense either, does that mean that after inserting the marker I carry on ribbing as I have another 20 st left after inserting the marker? Or does it mean I P2, M1, P2, rib P4 K2 until I have 20 st left and then add the marker on last K2 st?[/COLOR]
[U]When piece measures 11 cm / 4 3/8’’ inc for thumb gusset as follows: Inc 1 st on each side of st with marker - inc by making 1 YO, on next round work YO into back of loop to avoid a hole. Inc on every 3rd round a total of 6 times = 13 thumb sts in [/U]stockinette st.

That last section is not very clear either. Can someone help please? I am wondering if I should take another glove pattern follow the pattern for the glove making and use this one for the cable pattern?

Thank you
Natx

P2, M.1, P2 and rib as before on remaining 20 sts - insert a marker in the second of these rib-sts (= thumb st)

The M.1 is the name of the chart they show you for the pattern on the back of the glove. So it is telling you to P2 then work the first row of the chart and then P2. Then on the remaining 20 stitches you work ribbing as established. When you begin those last 20 stitches of ribbing place a marker in the second of those rib sts. That has something to do with the thumb. I’m not sure about insert a marker [B]in[/B] the second st. That may be a little different than between the stitches. Maybe do both to play it safe. :lol: It sounds like you need that marker to be carried up with your work so that it can be used for that next part.

When piece measures 11 cm / 4 3/8’’ inc for thumb gusset as follows: Inc 1 st on each side of st with marker - inc by making 1 YO, on next round work YO into back of loop to avoid a hole. Inc on every 3rd round a total of 6 times = 13 thumb sts in stockinette st.
When you have been following the M.1 chart on the back and doing ribbing across the palm until the piece measures 4 3/8" (when I use Drops patterns I often use a cm measuring tape, because the odd fraction numbers they come up with can be hard to use) or 11 cm then you are going to use the marker. Keep everything else going as before but when you come to the marker increase on each side of it. To make the increase they say to use a yarn over, so YO before and after the marker. Then when you do the next round when you come to the yarn overs work them through the back loops to cause it to twist and close the yarn over hole. Do that same increase every 3rd rnd until you’ve done it 6 times. You keep those stitches, which are the thumb gusset in stockinette. When you complete the 6 rounds of increases you’ll have 13 stitches in St st for the thumb gusset.