Getting correct tension

How do you get the correct knitting tension because I don’t like wrapping yarn around my finger? If you can see tiny holes in the slight does that mean the tension is wrong? Can you get the right tension without wrapping the yarn around the fingers
How often should you count stitches it’s getting a bit boring counting whats the trick to avoid counting and still be accurate? Video demonstrations would be easier for a tension demonstration please

There are lots of ways to knit. It sounds like someone has taught you to knit in the continental style (which is how I knit) but there are lots of other ways. If you look up at the top of this page, there are free knitting videos and they are so good, I’m sure you can find one there that will show you a different way that will be more comfortable.

Tension is a funny thing and as long as you are getting the correct gauge for the pattern you’re knitting you’re good to go. The holes may mean that you’re needles are too big for your yarn or that you are a loose knitter. Maybe try smaller needles if you don’t like the way your knitting looks.

As for counting, you can always place markers at intervals. I don’t know what you’re knitting but I never do much counting…I have learned to read what I’m knitting but sometimes, yes, you have to count your stitches. Maybe try a pattern that is easy and repeats often so you can just look at what you knit previously and you don’t have to count?

I hope that helps. Here is a link to the videos:

https://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/learn-to-knit

3 Likes

When u ask about how often to count stitches, is that in reference to the gauge?? Once u do a gauge swatch and find out which size needles you need for a particular project, you shouldn’t have to check your gauge or count the stitches after that.

Knitcindy

Other suggestions/opions on my above post would be helpful. So looking for different ways to tension yarn so I can find one which is comfortable. If I don’t wrap my yarn around my finger the tension can still go wrong.
Please awnser on how to get away with counting stitches when you have to do a certain project that has to be accurate…someone said stitch marker placement as the awnser…does anyone else have any suggestions on how to get away with counting stitches and still be accurate. Video demonstration’s are the best option for me if you could send links

I did a search on tension and found the following thread.

Where Sheldon posts this link to Amy’s video.
https://www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/mastering-tension-and-gauge
It is a frequent topic.

Perhaps this video will help you.

1 Like

That’s tough. What pattern is it? If you can figure out logical places to divide your knitting into segments, those are the logical places to put your markers. Say you’re doing a border design, then a cable, then the middle, and so on across – between each of those parts you’d want the marker. And once you’ve worked the pattern for a while, you shouldn’t have to count stitches very often unless it’s something rather out of the ordinary. You’ll be able to take a look and see if it’s looking right. Good luck!!

I feel very, very lucky in that I never learned to knit any other way than Portuguese; it sometimes gives one a bit of pause to ‘translate’ - some techniques are a bit tricky, but videos help a lot, especially Andrea Wong’s, but the one thing that is never a problem is tension. It is SO easy, Portuguese style. And the purl stitch is even easier than the knit. As for counting, well, sometimes you just have to count, don’t you? If it’s a complicated sequence, or lace or something. It seems to get easier as one gets more practice, like most things in life! I sometimes use one of those LCD ‘electronic’ notepads (boogie boards) that you can erase at the press of a button - they come in tiny versions about 6” x 3”, great for carrying around, and you can so easily make a note of where you are; those and stitch markers save so many mistakes, and lifelines just in case you do make a mistake.

1 Like

I just use old fashioned things like row counters, stitch markers, lifelines and good old pen and paper :slight_smile:

1 Like

Tiny holes - if they are really tiny shouldn’t matter. I’m not sure what yarn you are using - but when you block (and I suggest you do as it improves the finish generally) many of these tiny holes will disappear and the stitches will all look neater and tidier. If you are using wool - this is particularly true - possibly slightly less so for acrylics.

2 Likes

Thanks for replying some nice suggestions

I’m a total Portuguese knitting fan; it helped that that was the first way I learned, but I then tried other methods and have never, ever wanted to go back to any of them; zero tension problems with Portuguese, brilliant if you have any muscle problems, only have to flip your left thumb, easy in every way. Really worth a try, even if it turns out not to be for you.