Getting a bit frustrated with confusing beginner instructions

hello, I recently finished a washcloth that was advertised somewhere and by the time I got to the 4 th row I realized that the pattern was incomplete. It did not allow for the border as was described and as it appeared in the picture. I have begun a different washcloth and am now frustrated as the pattern isn’t making sense to me.

It reads Cast on 39 stitches
knit 4 rows garter stitch for border
rows 1,3,5,7,9 —k3p7 K3Across to last 3 stitches K3 border
rows 2 and all even rows K3 P33 K3
rows 11 and 13 K3(border) P3, * K7,P3* across to last 3 st(border)

repeat rows 1-14 twice then repeat rows 1-9
knit 4 rows then Bind off

I am confused about the instructions K3* p7 K3* across to last 3 stitchesK3(border)

Can anyone put it into simpler terms, I have tried but can’t seem to get it to even add to 39 stitches

I’ll give it a go. If I get it wrong someone else will correct me.

Maybe it will help if you realize that the first and last 3 stitches are the border of your cloth and not part of the pattern that you work in between.

You will repeat the stitches that appear between the stars p7 k3

I am confused about the instructions K3* p7 K3* across to last 3 stitchesK3(border)

OK, lets see if I can do this.

Knit 3.
Purl 7, Knit 3; Purl 7, Knit 3; (you will p7, k3 as many times as it takes to have 3 stitches left on the needle)
Knit the last 3 stitches.

I only put the knit 3 sections on different rows for clarification.

HTH You’ll undoubtedly get the hang of it soon. I started out with crochet too and had a heck of a time getting knitting to work and it only happened because I found KH.

You knit 3 for the border.

Then p7, k3 all the way across until you have 3 stitches left. The center stitches won’t turn out even. You will end with p3 then and knit 3 for the border.

I thought the stars meant repeat but I was thinking about it the wrong way. I see now. It is repeat to the last 3

I made a mistake the pattern reads:
K3(border)K3,* P7, K3* across to last 3 stitches K3(border)

does that mean I knit 6 originally, if not can you please decipher once more? Thank you

Yes. Knit 6, then p7, k3 three times and then k3. That will give you 39 [I]and[/I] it will work out evenly.

Yes, k6, then p7, k3, p7, k3 across to the end and k3. That will put 6 knit sts at the beg and end of that row.