German short rows

I’m working on the pattern “A Study In Pink” by Melanie Berg. It’s a top down sweater and when doing the German short rows I keep having holes in my work. I’ve tried knitting them on the very end of my needles but still seems to have hole there. Any ideas to avoid this would be greatly appreciated. Really like this forum- very helpful answers

It’s possible to work GSR too tightly. Don’t work them at the needle tips and try not pulling them up too much. Just a slight pull to lift the double stitch partially up the needle is enough.

Really pretty pattern. I’ve added it to my favorites.

1 Like

Thank you! I will try that. It is a lovely pattern

Pretty pattern. What I love in this design is how the bottom rib travels so gracefully into the lace pattern. I really love that.,so many rib sections are treated like some additional extra just stuck on as standard and not given this kind of consideration.

1 Like

Are you getting the holes on one side only? Short rows can be tricky to close off when working in the round, when you are going against the direction you would be taking when knitting flat.
Patty Lyons has a great tip to get around this.

1 Like

I looked at Patty Lyon’s tip-an excellent one, thank you! I tried it, was better, but still has some small holes. The yarn I was using called for a wool blend and I was using a cotton and alpaca blend. I abandoned that yarn and went with a wool blend. I think there just wasn’t enough stretch in that yarn to close the holes.

1 Like