Gauge - the confusion continues...

I have this lovely pattern “Hot Tanks and Tees” by Westminster Fibres… One pattern in the book shows 20 sts by 28 rows and another shows 20 sts by 24 rows, both using a 4.5 mm needle to test gauge. How can you possibly get a different number of rows in 4 inches using the same needles…

Also, although this one is just a head scratcher, wouldn’t it be nice when purchasing on line if the yarn showed the gauge right up front rather than having to go an extra step to get into the details of the yarn, just to find out it’s the wrong gauge. I mean lets face it… You can go into the same thread weight and get two different gauges… One of life’s small mysteries, I guess…:roll_eyes:

I still would like to know about this 20 x 24 vs 20x28 though…:thinking:

Maybe those 2 different patterns are made by 2 different people?? That’s the only thing I can think of as to why they would be different.

Knitcindy

It might be differences in the yarns recommended in the patterns or the yarns used to knit the test samples?
Webs Yarns has an extensive collection of yarn from various manufacturers and search results always give gauge on the search page. It’s a wonderful source.
https://www.yarn.com/categories/yarn-by-weight

Great to know!!! I will definitely check it out…:blush:

Different yarns used, perhaps?

So many variables can affect gauge, even when same needle size is specified, not the least of which is different yarn manufacturers citing same weight.

That doesn’t even begin to touch on the variability among knitters themselves.

For the four row difference, the patterns must be made with different yarns. Are they?

Is the pattern based on four rows? Maybe one is a little shorter than the other? Without the pattern I am just guessing. I hope you come up with an answer.
Vicki

Good question!!! Salmonmac asked the same question… I will check in the morning and let you know… I learned something new today… Thanks!!!