Gauge swatch with circular needles, marking rows

I’m making this sweater for my cat… http://www.christinelandry.com/?cat=7

Last night, in the chat, several people were very helpful :slight_smile: I don’t see anyone in there right now, so I’m going to ask here.

I did my gauge swatch last night with regular needles, and attempted to begin knitting on circular needles. I quit because I think that variegated yarn would have been too difficult for me to work with, and my circulars were way too long. I have never used circular needles before.

So today I bought new circulars and different yarn. Should I redo a gauge swatch? And if so, do I make the swatch using circular needles? I’m a little (no, a lot) unclear on how to knit a swatch on circular needles. And also, I’m not sure how to mark my rows. Should I just tally on paper as I finish each row?

Thank you!

Since you are changing needles as well as yarn I would do another swatch. You can knit back and forth on circulars the same as you would on straights. Just turn your work around when you get to the end of a row. You should be able to count your rows by looking at the swatch, but keeping a tally would probably be simpler.

I think I understand. So I CO 20 for my swatch. When I do a gauge swatch, do I knit all stitches? Or k1p1? Do I K one row and P the next? And when I get to the end, I can turn the thing around? Thank you for the clarification :slight_smile:

You would do the swatch in whatever stitches the pattern calls for. If it’s stockinette k 1 row, purl 1 row then do your swatch in that. If it’s a more complex pattern then cast on enough stitches to do at least a couple of repeats of pattern. I couldn’t bring up link to your pattern so don’t know what the design stitches are.

Thanks… the link should be working now.

This is what it says:

[B]Belly[/B]
CO [COLOR=green]A[/COLOR] and join for working in the round. Knit in 2×2 rib for [COLOR=green]B[/COLOR] rounds.
[B]Divide for arms [/B]
Continuing in 2×2 rib, work back and forth on [COLOR=green]C[/COLOR] stitches for [COLOR=green]D[/COLOR] rows, this will be the material that runs between the cats front legs. It will be referred to as the chest piece. Cut yarn leaving a tail to weave in later.
Join yarn and work the rest of the stitches in 2×2 rib for [COLOR=green]D[/COLOR] rows, this will be the material that goes over the cats back.
You should now have a tube that splits for the arms and is of equal length chest and back.

So when I do my gauge swatch, I should do 2x2 ribbing. Yes? Thank you again :slight_smile:

yes that’s correct on swatch. That’s a cute sweater your cat should love it and be very proud to be seen in it.
Good luck and have fun with it.

yay!! I know what I’m going to do now :slight_smile: Thanks a lot! I can’t wait to get started.