Gauge question

If the pattern uses 5.5, 5.0 straight needles and a 5.0 circular needle, and the gauge requires 18 stitches = 4 inches using 5.5 straight needles

but if my gauge is 17 stitches = 4 inches using 4.0 straight needles, how do I change the stitches on the pattern so that my gauge comes out in the same size as the pattern? Also, If I were to use my 4.0 straight needles instead of the 5.5, what do I change the 5.0 into? A 3.5?

I’m not sure I understand your question. Are you trying to meet the pattern’s gauge, or are you trying to adjust the pattern to meet your gauge? If the former, if you have too few stitches in your gauge swatch, go down a needle size and swatch again. Think of it like, you need to get more stitches to the inch. A smaller needle will make smaller stitches, allowing more of them in an inch.

Do they use the smaller needle size to do ribbing in the pattern? If that’s all they’re doing, I think you can safely just go down half a millimeter to 1 millimeter size for that.

I’m trying to adjust the pattern to meet my gauge

The best way would be to try to adjust your gauge to the pattern, because the shaping wouldn’t be [I]quite[/I] right, and the design may be wonky. If it’s plain stockinette, than you could multiply the number of stitches you get to one inch by the number of inches you want (the pattern will tell you).

This is why I began calculating my own sweater patterns, that way, you can knit a sweater that fits [I]you[/I] with [I]your [/I]gauge. Changing a pattern to fit your gauge is a bit tricky, but it can be done with a little math.

If the pattern comes in sizes you could check the stitches required and make it one size smaller. If it’s a scarf or shawl, the gauge won’t matter so much.

I’m a size S already so I can’t make it one size smaller :frowning:

You can still adjust it… Look at the difference in the stitch numbers between sizes, it’s usually 6 or 8 or 10. Then use that many less than the small size.