Gauge Question

Hi Everyone,

I am about embark into knitting my first non rectangular piece! Woo hoo!

So this pattern called for gauge over 4 inches 20 stitches and 26 rows on size 6 needles. (or 5 stitches and 6.5 rows per inch)

I am getting 20 stitches and 24 rows on size 6. (5 stitches and 6 rows per inch). It has taken me several days to get this close!

Can I compensate for the rows? I have read that getting the stitches exact with rows slightly off is ok, you just have to watch length. Or should I keep trying?

You have to go with the needle size that will give you the correct stitch gauge, even if the row gauge is off by a bit. I don’t think I have ever gotten the precise row gauge measurement, but usually “close enough” is good for rows because often patterns ask for work in a certain # of inches. You cannot compensate for your stitch gauge being off, though. You can always make an item longer but you can’t make it wider.

I find it useful to keep an index card with what needle size I need to give me the correct gauge with a specific yarn type and weight. (For instance with worsted wool, I know that if I use a size 7 needle, I can usually get 5 stitches per inch.)

And it’s important to remember that the size needle used to get gauge varies by person, sometimes considerably. Take the suggested needle size as a point of reference, certainly, but know what works specifically for you. It’s all a matter of trial and error.