gauge question

I am looking at a pattern that describes making a swatch to determine your gauge. It says, “18 sts and 28 rows = 4 inches, assume you are using 8 needles” Then it provides a table with gauges from 3 1/2 to 6 down the left side and sizes Small to XXL across the top, columns of numbers in the table. Once I choose a gauge, then I know how much to CO, etc. How do I use this table

I’ve not seen one like that. Can you please post a pattern name and a link? Don’t post the pattern itself just the link and name.

Every pattern in the knitting book, Knits Men Want,by Bruce Weinstein, sold on Amazon

This has been confusing for many people. There’s some discussion here:
https://www.ravelry.com/discuss/bruce-weinsteins-books-and-designs/3357449/1-25

The idea is to take your yarn and needles and knit a good sized swatch, maybe 24sts cast on. Measure across the middle 4 inches. If you’re happy with the knit fabric, look up that number of sts per inch in the left-hand column of the table. Say you’re right on 18sts/4" or 4.5sts/inch. Follow across that row.
Now look at the numbers across the top row and decide which chest measurement is the size you want. Follow that column down. The number of sts to cast on is the number where the row and column cross.
You may be choosing different numbers for fronts, sleeves, etc.

1 Like

All makes sense. Thank you

salmonmac Mod Squad
March 2 |

This has been confusing for many people. There’s some discussion here:
https://www.ravelry.com/discuss/bruce-weinsteins-books-and-designs/3357449/1-25

The idea is to take your yarn and needles and knit a good sized swatch, maybe 24sts cast on. Measure across the middle 4 inches. If you’re happy with the knit fabric, look up that number of sts per inch in the left-hand column of the table. Say you’re right on 18sts/4" or 4.5sts/inch. Follow across that row.
Now look at the numbers across the top row and decide which chest measurement is the size you want. Follow that column down. The number of sts to cast on is the number where the row and column cross.
You may be choosing different numbers for fronts, sleeves, etc.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

susie1
March 2 |

Every pattern in the knitting book, Knits Men Want,by Bruce Weinstein, sold on Amazon
Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.