Garter stitch?

I know how to knit and I know how to purl, and I can read patterns in my own language (Swedish).
But I’m having some trouble reading english patterns.
Can someone please tell me what Garter stitch is?

Sure - if you are knitting a flat piece, going back and forth, turning your work at the end of each row - you would knit each row. That’s Garter Stitch.

It’s the stitch you get when from the same side, there are alternating knit row, purl row, knit row, purl row. So if you knit every row, you will get garter stitch: you will also have garter stitch if you purl every row.

Knitting in the round, you will get garter stitch if you knit a round, purl a round, knit a round, purl a round, etc.

This bib - - is garter stitch. It looks the same on both sides.

That’s right. The garter stitch is the easiest of all to do, and the easiest of all to use, since it doesn’t curl, looks the same on both sides, and is a thick, stable stitch.

What are you making?



Garter stitch is just the plain knit stitch. Garter is just another name for it.


No, you can get garter stitch by purling every stitch on every row too. Or when working in the round you have to knit one row, purl one row because you don’t turn to work on the back side. It’s not how you make it that gives a stitch its name, but what the result looks like.

Thanks everyone.
Learning to knit is one thing, understanding the terms in a foreign language is another.:grphug: