Garter Intarsia

Silly, me, I think I’m a knitting genius and create my own pattern for a green scarf with white diamonds. The product has not not been all that I hoped for. The diamonds look… rather scraggled. I think it’s because I did the intarsia pretty much completely in garter.

This is basically my pattern for the diamonds:

vvvvvvv[B]v[/B]vvvvvvv
vvvvvv[B]vvv[/B]vvvvvv
vvvvv[B]vvvvv[/B]vvvvv
vvvvv[B]vvvvv[/B]vvvvv
vvvv[B]vvvvvvv[/B]vvvv
vvvv[B]vvvvvvv[/B]vvvv
vvv[B]vvvvvvvvv[/B]vvv
vvv[B]vvvvvvvvv[/B]vvv
vvvv[B]vvvvvvv[/B]vvvv
vvvv[B]vvvvvvv[/B]vvvv
vvvvv[B]vvvvv[/B]vvvvv
vvvvv[B]vvvvv[/B]vvvvv
vvvvvv[B]vvv[/B]vvvvvv
vvvvvvv[B]v[/B]vvvvvvv

A= green
B= white

CO 15 A stitches
1)RS Knit 7 A stitches, knit 1 B, knit 7 A
2)WS Knit 6 A stitches, purl 1 B, knit 2 B, purl 1 A, knit 6 A
3)RS Knit 5 A stitches, knit 5 B, knit 5 A
4)WS Knit 5 A stitches, purl 1 B, knit 4 B, purl 1 A, knit 5 A
5)RS Knit 4 A stitches, knit 7 B, knit 4 A
6)WS Knit 4 A stitches, purl 1 B, knit 6 B, purl 1 A, knit 4 A
7)RS Knit 3 A stitches, knit 9 B, knit 3 A
8)WS Knit 3 A stitches, purl 1 B, knit 6 B, purl 1 A, knit 3 A
9)RS As Row 5
10)WS As Row 6
11)RS As Row 3
12)WS As Row 4
13) RS As Row 3
13) WS As Row 1

So my question is, is there any other way to garter intarsia? Basically, whenever I came to a color change on the wrong side, I’d purl the color change instead of purling the entire row.

Please, if anyone is up to it, you can follow the pattern and see if you get the same results. I’ll post a picture of the scarf later.

What is your question?

When you change colors in garter, you’re going to get two-color stitches where the purl bumps are on the edge. If you wanted to make a smoother transition yet still work it garter, you could try working the edge stitches of the diamond in stockinette.

That’s what I thought I was doing.

Whenever I changed a color, I’d purl it on the wrong side. I’d knit all the stitches on the right side, as in stockinette, but instead of purling completely on the next row, I only purled when I came to a color change.

I think a picture would help. I suspect, though, that when you work the color change on a row, you’re working it over the garter stitch from the row before, rather than over a stockinette stitch from the row before. Maybe working two stitches–the last of one color and the first of the other in stockinette would make a better transition.

Right Side

Wrong side