Front Shaping

I’m having a bit of trouble with the front shaping on my sweater. The directions are:
Row 1: p3, work in pattern to last 3 sts, p3
Row 2: k2, ssk, work to last 3 sts, k3
Repeat 7 times to 24 sts. Continue in pattern maintaining 3 stockinette sts at each end of row until piece measure same as Back from dividing round, ending with WS row.

Then there are 4 short rows to finish the shoulder shaping. The problem I’m having is that I still have 4 decrease rounds to go and the short rows, and already the front is at the same length as the back. If I keep going with the decreases and short rows the front will end up about 2 inches longer than the back. Any ideas how to fix this??

Are the decreases at the front the same as those at the back? If this is at the armhole, the decreases often match.
If not, I’d rip out a few rows and put in an extra dec or two on the purl rows and maybe work the shoulder short rows with an extra stitch or two. Those extras will fall into the seam at the shoulder anyway.

If I had finished the decrease rows it would have matched the back but I still have about four decrease rounds and the sides are already at the same length. If I work in extra decreases like you suggest should I do them next to each other or should I space them out down the row to avoid a sharp shaping?

Since it’s only 4 more increases, I’d put in an extra two say on two purl rows at the armhole edge. (You’ll have to rip back some rows so that the decreases get distributed in among the regular decrease row and don’t occur all at once on the last few rows.) I don’t think this will make a big difference when the sleeve is seamed in. Then just add two more decreases to the shoulder bind off. Again, this will not likely cause a problem when you seam the shoulder.