Front band

Morning g all this is my first post so hope I’m doing it right.
I’m a “born again” knitter recently picking it up again after a gap of 30 years and thoroughly enjoying the challenges.
My latest attempt is a long line chunky cable type cardigan from a vintage pattern, which calls for a separate front band to be knit and sewed on.
I can see the logic as it’s a long cardigan and I wouldn’t have needles long enough to pick up and knit.
Can anyone advise the best way to attach? Or would crochet band be best? I’m a bit nervous of making a mess as it’s taken me ages to knit this and I don’t want to ruin it.
Many thanks in advance.

Welcome!
This is a nice description of one way to do the band. I usually use the same method, keeping the band on needles until I’m sure of the length. I also pin or baste in place up to almost the working needles. Mattress stitch is a nice way to attach the band.
http://www.studioknits.com/bookpage91.htm

Would you give us a link to the pattern or a pattern name?

Hi there

Thank you so much for your response.

I can’t give you a link as it’s a vintage pattern bought from eBay.

Pattern Number 811 Ladies Cable Cardigan in Chunky. Doesn’t have a brand name on.

I knit it longer as my daughter is very tall.

Regards

Ooh, nice. Thanks for the photo. Enjoy finishing it up. You might seam the buttonband first to give yourself a better idea of where to place the buttonholes.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Ladies-Knitting-Pattern-Chunky-long-Jacket-Cardigan-with-Cables-31-38-811-/272454224619?hash=item3f6f898aeb:g:peoAAOSwB09YLvan

What wonderful pattern. Craftsy has a wonderful online lesson about picking up stitches for a band.

Thanks for your response. I’ll let you know how I get on once I’m back from holiday. Fingers crossed.

Finilly finished and I think it’s lovely. I ended up back stitching the bands on after going to a masterclass on finishing off.

1 Like

Fabulous! You look spectacular in the sweater. Well done.

Oh its not me it’s my daughter lol. Thank you though.