FO's - Baby dress and Column of Leaves Scarf

The baby dress for my granddaughter is done - finally! It will be her Christmas present. The pattern was Judy Lamb’s Baby Dress / Christening Gown and I knit it in Jaeger Sienna (Lavender). It was very challenging, and there are lots of little mistakes in it, but the pattern is so busy that I doubt anyone will ever notice!

I also finished my mother’s Christmas present - The Column of Leavesscarf in Cascade Quattro. Blocking made a HUGE difference with this scarf - I wish I had taken a picture of it before blocking for comparison.

[color=blue][size=6]EXCELLENT JOB!!![/size][/color]

Heirlooms, both.

Your granddaughter and your mom are very lucky individuals!

WOW :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Diane

Just superb and quite beautiful :cheering:

Very Pretty! I love lace work! :heart:

When I first looked I thought the scarf was great but then when I scrolled down and saw that dress…AMAZING!

Both of those are beautiful!

Gorgeous–that little dress is adorable!

I love it :heart:

Just perfect and pretty - I love lace!
Great job!

They will both be a treasure!

Wow, what beautiful work! :cheering: :cheering:

very very purty, you should be proud (even if there are a few oops’)
:cheering:

Those are beautiful! That dress will certainly become an heirloom!

Those are both just gorgeous.
In fact I like them so much that I just started knitting the scarf! hehe, I’m two repeats in and of course I keep getting lost cuz i don’t know how to read a chart and I lose my place in the written directions. Heheheh… :roflhard:

The dress is just lovely too.

They are beautiful :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: The baby dress is wonderful and the scarf is just FAB-U-LOUS. I love the Column of Leaves pattern and you’re absolutly right, blocking is key in this pattern. Beautiful work!!!

Nadja xxx

FYI - the column of leaves pattern threw me for a loop when I first started it too - I ripped it out and started over about 5 times before I realized that the stitch count alternates between 39 and 41 on alternate rows - I kept thinking I was adding stitches!

Wow, that dress is stunning!! Great job, beautiful work!

I saw your post and decided to try it yesterday after all the holiday festives. I ended up starting and frogging about three times because I either had too many stitches or not enough. I noticed you said you ended up with 41 on some rows and that it works out fine in the pattern. How often do you end up with extra stitches? I wanted to try again and see how it goes.

Any suggestions to help me get it started and knitted up?

P.S. Love the dress also!

The number of stitches alternates on odd and even rows. If I remember correctly, you end up with 41 stitches at the end of the odd rows and 39 stitches at the end of the even rows. (or vice versa!) And I counted every row for quite a few repeats of the pattern before I could tell when I was off without counting.

I also divided the rows into sections to keep me from losing my place. Every even rows starts and ends with the same 7 or 8 stitches, and the same for the odd rows. Once I got rid of thinking about those, the pattern was easier to see…the middle parts of each row start with descending stitch counts (i.e row 1 starts with K7, rows 2 starts with P6, all the way down to row 8 which starts with no purl stitch) It’s pretty easy to count those stitches on the last row to see where you left off. There’s also a middle stitch on every row that is either a P1 for odd rows or a K1 on the even rows that will help you make sure you are in the right place during a row.

The other tricky thing is the first pattern row - where you …yo, k1, yo, p1, yo, k1, yo…it took me a while to figure out that you have to do some funky wrapping when you YO betwen a K and P stitch. Once I figured that out I was pretty well out of the woods. But it took me about 20 repeats of the pattern before I had it memorized and could work without constantly referring to the pattern!

That was probably more than you actually wanted to know! But I hope it helps!

Omigosh. Wonderful! :notworthy: