Forgot to place stitch marker to mark beginning of round!

Hi everyone,

I’m new here and this is my first post. I am fairly new at knitting and I’m taking some classes at a local craft store. I was working on my baby hat tonight when I got distracted during knitting and my stitch marker must have fallen off before beginning a new round. I didn’t notice until I had been knitting a while. Does anyone know how I can determine where the row begins and ends? It all looks the same to me, but I know it obviously begins somewhere around where the cast on tail is hanging many rows below. I don’t know how to trace exactly where it begins though. Please help me!!! I know I can’t be the only one who has had this problem before. I am so terrified that I will have to start over! Please tell me there is a solution! Thanks in advance!

hiya sunshinemama,
Just find the cast on tail and follow the v’s straight up to your needles and that will be where you started.
I won’t hurt if you are off by a stitch or two if you haven’t done any shaping on the item.
Just find a stitch that is close to where your line of stitches comes up n call that your ending point and place your marker.
:thumbsup:

Unless you knit with the tail end for a while. I usually knit it in for 3-4 stitches.

But I agree, it’s not that picky.

If you are as newbie as I am, then your first stitch might be looser than the others. Mine has big ladders where I join. If you look carefully you might find that stitch which is looser than the rest.

Thanks everyone for your replies! I feel so much better after hearing that it’s not a big deal to be off by a few stitches! This forum is so helpful!