? for those who have No Sheep for You

I am looking at the lace chart for the Network hat (page 47). I do not understand what row 1 of the chart is asking me to do.

Thanks,
Candice

I have the book and I’ll go get it in a minute. I’m not good at charts either though so I’m not sure how much help I’ll be.

ETA: I looked at the book and :zombie:… I think it might be one of those things you have to be working on to understand.

So you have done your 5 rows and are now starting on the chart right? I don’t know how to do this either, but I’ll type the text of it here so maybe someone who does know that stitch can help.

[B]LT: reach behind first st and knit second st on needle, but do not drop off, knit first st on needle, drop both st from needle.[/B]

Do exactly what Jan wrote. Take you needle and reach behind the first stitch and knit in the second stitch through the back loop. Then like when you are making multiple stitches in the same stitch, leave the stitch on the needle (rather than bringing it over the unknit stitch to drop) Then bring your needle forward and knit the first stitch like normal, but drop both the first and second stitch.

I’m not a big fan of charts and have been known periodically to write out the chart directions for each row rather than having to keep referring to the legend to find out what */< means on this chart.

Thanks for the replies. I am sure I can figure it out from here. I was not understanding that THAT symbol in the chart matched up with the symbol in the key on the left. Is it my tiny little brain, or do those two symbols not really look the same? (I had not even gotten as far as how to execute the actual stitch.)

candice

OH! I found a [U]No Sheep for You[/U] Knitalong website. I bet someone has made that shawl!