For a felted bag

What would be the difference in using 2 strands of yarn held together, or a single strand of a thicker yarn? Assuming that the 2 strands are roughly equal in thickness, is there a structural difference (2 strands more sturdy, maybe?)?

I’ve done both and honestly, I don’t think there’s a structural difference at all. Using 2 strands makes whatever you’re knitting thicker and overall, using 1 strand of a bulky or super bulky will do the same thing. The fibers actually become glued together, forming the felted fabric. I do know, from experience, that you’ll play HECK, trying to pull the fibers apart, much less trying to separate the knitted and felted/fulled fibers. I knitted a flat strap, once and it got folded over in the machine and I could not pull the fold away. Mary

Thanks. I couldn’t see why there would be a difference, but wondered why some patterns called for double-stranding. Maybe the pattern writers had lots of the worsted to get rid of! :smiley:

good way to sell yarn, maybe!

I think the worsted or thinner yarn is easier to come by. I like the Pursenalities books and she always calls for double-stranding. She likes Cascade 220 and I don’t think they make a bulky weight (or whatever the double strand would equal).

Kelly

Another thing, too. On some patterns, doublestranding is used when there will be color changes or fiber changes such as when using fun fir.