Just as I did with my own blue (Debbie Bliss Donegal Tweed) Central Park Hoodie…I made a facing out of the yarn itself.
With my brother’s…I am almost done! This time I did the facing a little smarter: I picked up stitches along the edge of the buttonband…knit 12 rows…then cast off on row 13. Then I folded it over and basted it to the inside edge that was the original pickup row for the buttonband ribbing itself. I did not do ribbing for the facing…just plain st st.
For the facing on the buttonhole side…I had to make buttonholes in the facing, of course. I used the “bind off 3” (on row 6)…then “cast on 3” on row7…then worked til row 12…then bind off on row 13 again.
The original buttonholes were ‘bind off 4’…but I they were kind loosish with the weight of these great big heavy leather buttons. So the facing’s buttonholes (being just bind off 3) will strengthen the buttonhole. I will, of course, bast them together…I think with DMC embroidery thread that’s an exact match…using teensy invisible stitches…rather than self yarn, which will bulk the hole up.
Don’t want that, but I’ll keep an open mind.
I must say…the buttons like being stitched down through double thickness. They aren’t floppy at all anymore.
I will post a photo of these facings…and also of the facings for my Central Park Hoodie, in which I had inserted/installed a zipper…so the edges of the ribbing seemed to need the stabilzation of the facings for some odd reason. I really like the outcome. Totally worth the effort. Just put in a movie, bite the bullet, and tinkrt with the thing til it’s right! Finishing techniques and the finishing touches can make or break a garment IMHO.