FO: Mother Bear Project; my first bear

:thumbsup: This is the first bear or any stuffed animal for that matter I’ve made. I saw it on Knitty Gritty and just had to make one. I’ve named her Luanna. I think she turned out pretty good considering the amount of uncertainty and questioning what I was doing. I have since bought some brown yarn and will try another bear, but I think I’ll try it in the round to eliminate all the seaming; this will require steeking which I haven’t done before though. :???:

The Mother Bear Project is dedicated to providing comfort and hope to children affected by HIV/AIDS in emerging nations, by giving them a gift of love in the form of a hand-knit or crocheted bear.
The simple gift of a hand-knit bear with a tag signed by the knitter has touched children with the message that they are unconditionally loved.

She looks so lovely and i know she is for a great cause :slight_smile: The little girl or boy that will recieve her will love her.:slight_smile:

She came out cute! I made one in the round and it required no steeking, just some tweaking. :teehee: I was afraid they wouldn’t accept bears in the round so I asked and she said they would as long as they look like the same bear. She asked me not to post it anywhere, but if someone asked I could share it. I guess she thought if it was free people wouldn’t pay for the pattern on the Mother Bear site, but it’s free on DIY so… :shrug: So, if you want I can dig up the pattern. I got a new computer so I have it on on a CD.

ETA: if you look on my Rav page you can see the bear. She used it on the Mother Bear link, too. :wink:

Cute bear, and what a good cause. well done.

that is so precious!!! I love it!!

Jan, I’d love to see your ‘in the round’ version of this. I can’t figure out how you did it without steeking though. Since it’s a small enough project, I might have to try the steeking anyway just to do it for the experience. To me your bear looks just like the MBP pattern produced… well, different colors of course.

i love the Mother Bear Project. i have made several for them now but it was my first stuffed toy attempt too. you did a great job she looks lovely and will make a child very happy.

I sent you a PM, Marni! I think you’ll see how easy it is to do w/o any tiny steeks. I think steeks might be hard to do for something this small.

Very cute Marni, and a very good cause. Did she take very long?

Hard to say how long exactly. I know for sure I started the project 6 days ago, but basically it was a 30-minute lunch project with probably 6 or 7 hours fiddling at home. I contemplated my methods though and stopped to ponder a lot doing everything from picking up the stitches to what kind of neckwear to use. LOL There’s a lot of seaming and end weaving which seemed to go on [I]forever[/I]! Straight forward construction though… maybe 7 hours. I figure 3.5 hours of straight knitting then maybe double that for seaming, weaving, stuffing and decorating.

Really darling bear and what a thoughtful cause!

Bambi

that is such an adorable bear. I am just starting a knitted toy phase so it is nice to know if I ever get good at it I can put it to a good cause. She’s really cute.

:yay: very cute!! Great job

What a cute bear!!

I’ve made some of those and need to do some more sometime.

Marnie your bear is so pretty xx