FO - Lots of Options Top

Finally, an FO. This is Sally Melville’s Lots of Options Top from The Knit Stitch. The yarn is Classic Elite Flash, and I’m only moderately pleased with this top. I measured before & during knitting, and it came out about 3" too short and it gaps where the buttons are. :grrr: So, I won’t be able to wear it w/out a tank or sport bra or something. I have it in the wash right now, and I’m hoping I can convince it to lengthen a bit by blocking it. <sigh> I’m feeling a bit discouraged because I’ve yet to knit something that I would feel comfortable wearing anywhere.

Anyway, here it is:
[/quote]

Wow I really like it! The only gap I could really see was between the top 2 buttons.

I don’t think it looks too short! Let us know how it blocks out!

Julie, that looks great! :cheering: :cheering:

Gaps… what gaps? :shrug:

I think it’s really pretty! I don’t think it’s too short either, but if it doesn’t block the way you like, I it’ll look adorable with a tank underneath.

Well, thanks, everyone. It doesn’t look that bad in the picture, but if I … you know … actually MOVE in it, well, it gaps.

I posted a pic of it in my blog thread, too, and Ingrid The Wise suggested adding a border to it. A fabulous suggestion. :thumbsup:

Ah, I was gonna say border, too!!! Does that mean I’m becoming knitty wise, too?! How exciting!!
I really like it, I think it looks really nice on you, too.
But, if you aren’t comfortable in it, I understand what you mean. What about tacking it down in the area where it gaps when you move, could this work, do you think?

Very Pretty ! What page is the pattern on ??? I must be using what we call “boy eyes” when I look through the book because I can’t find it!

I think it looks great!
However, if you’re not happy, then tweak it. I was going to suggest a border, too. It shouldn’t be too difficult to pick up the stitches on the bottom. Something lacey would look fabulous. As for the gapping, maybe you add snaps in between the button? I dunno if that would be too much, but it may work to keep the gaps under control without too much work, you know?

I think it looks really good! It doesn’t look to short to my eyes, but its all about how you feel in it.

Lisa

I suspect once you block it you will be really happy. My noro sweater looked like it would fit a 10 year old - and once I blocked that puppy into submission, it was great.

I think it looks great! I know how it feels to spend so much time and care on a project, and then it doesn’t fit. I don’t know if it’s problems with patterns, or maybe individual differences in knitting. You could add a border to the bottom to make it longer, if that appeals to you - I’ve seen knitted vests that have crocheted or knitted borders on the bottom that look pretty good. You might also be able to add a few rows of horizontal ribbing to the front edges, to add a little bit of width. All this assuming, of course, that you have some yarn left over…

I think I’ve learned from being disappointed with projects that you might have to play with the design a little bit to end up with something you might actually wear. Don’t give up - your work is too good to just set your project aside and not get to show it off by wearing it!

Very nice! :thumbsup:

A border or edging would be very pretty, but if you don’t like the length of the finished piece, it would also look good over a fall-toned button-down blouse, like a dark teal or burnt orange. (That is, if my monitor is displaying the color correctly, which is a big if!)

Julie, I just noticed something. You have the nicest eyes! :inlove:

They remind me of my hubby’s eyes. I always tell him that his eyes are “tootsie roll brown”. :slight_smile:

:aww: Thanks Sandy. :aww:

And, yes, I’m thinking a border, too. I also had a revelation re: the gapping. It may be because the buttons are too heavy for the garment. I might try replacing them w/ a lighter button. These are probably brass or something. I bought them @ Stitches, and I’m pretty sure I paid more for the buttons than the yarn for the whole dang tank top. :grrr: