Flying with knitting needles update

Now THIS is hostile.

Instead of a bath towel for a blanket, a large comfy shawl works great too. :wink:

[color="#330099"]
If you meant your post, I would agree. We all need to keep to a civil discussion by limiting our post to providing new information and polite and constructive comments.

Thank you sue for popping in, I was about to send a PM to you and Dustina to come over for a visit. A shawl is a great idea, but somehow I think me in a shawl would look suspicious. :roflhard:
[/COLOR]

Wear it around your neck as an oversize scarf…

Just wanted to take a moment and link you guys to the forum guidelines…remember we all have the right to our opinions :teehee:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/about/guidelines

I’ve had lipsticks and asthma inhalers considered suspect items - both before and after 9/11. With the lipstick, they even checked my bag for explosives. As a cross-stitcher, I was very disappointed at the post-9/11 rules which both required me to spend more time in airports, with less stuff to do. Somewhat understanding, but still disappointed. As far as knitting needles go, I hope they continue to be allowed on US flights. For short trips, a book is enough, but for longer trips, I like to have some variety in my entertainment, and yarn is a lot lighter than a portable DVD player. But it’s good to know that some TSA posts are cracking down on knitting needles. Thanks for the heads up!

Of course no one here would do anything awful with knitting needles. But there are people who would. I just don’t get it when knitters get so irritated about not being able to knit on planes.

I think the problem is that knitting needles are listed on the TSA website as acceptable. If they are listed as “okay” and then some agent uses his power to say no, it’s frustrating. Knives are not allowed and are listed on the website as not allowed, so you know up front if you’re a wood carver, don’t take your stuff in your carry on.

If needles were listed as banned on the website and there were uniformity to the enforcement, the irritation level would be less.

Edited to add: I posted as I read, rather than reading through the whole thread first. I probably wouldn’t have jumped into such a hot discussion otherwise. But since I’m hear, I agree with the idea that trying to have the government micromanage our lives so that we are perfectly “safe” is going to backfire. The terrorists have already won. As Benjamin Franklin said, Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.

[B]Exactly![/B]

I was taking a knitting class today and posed the issue of flying with needles and the instructor suggested taking a stamped envelope, in the event that they won’t let you through with your needles, so that you can mail them home instead of losing them forever.

I will be taking a copy of the page from the TSA website just in case, when I fly this summer. Hopefully it will be a non-issue.:knitting:

Ummm, what?:?? I am truly confused by your response. Sandy57th made some comments and asked some question of meowmeowmeow, which understandably, meowmeowmeow may not have liked very much. You said that sandy57th was hostile. Meowmeowmeow then made some very personally directed attacks, saying that sandy57th had “personal paranoia”, couldn’t come to conclusions on her own, instructed her (or him-- I’m assuming Sandy is female) to “think real hard”, accused her (or him) of being “emotionally manipulative”, etc., etc. I think that post was extremely hostile (and very personally attacking) and said so. And you think THAT is hostile, self-referencing? :??

I also have to say, I’m surprised at the venom with which both you and meowmeowmeow responded to sandy57th’s comments about losing people on 9/11. It sounds like she (or he) lost people that day, as did you. How about a little compassion instead of berating that? I don’t know, I find this thread disturbing for many reasons. We’re talking about knitting on an airplane. You want to worry about your rights when flying? I fly Southwest pretty often and they now say you can’t stand outside of the bathroom doors, that you have to remain in your seat until the person in there comes out. So then someone else beats you to it. And the next, and the next. What if you have to go really badly, as I did on a flight last week? That’s very inconvenient and not well handled. That rule bothers me an awful lot more than not being able to knit for a few hours.

I’ve heard this before,too - but really, there are no mailboxes at the screening areas! Who will you depend on to drop it in a mailbox for you - the same TSA screener who denied them on the plane?? You’d have to dash out of line, find a mailbox and get back in line again!!

They do that intentionally, to keep people from not knowing. There was an article not too long ago about how the TSA shakes up the rules because it helps them catch the bad guys.

Very true. But I might feel better knowing that I returned the favor of pissing someone off… unless there are handcuffs involved ;o)

[color="#330099"]
Wow, if that were true, then I guess we should have no objection to randomly assigned strip searches. I mean, the latest attempt was an underwear bomber, so obviously we need to keep the terrorist guessing as to when they may be stopped for a strip search!

No, they do it because they can and people believe that it improves security because it looks like they are “cracking down” on items perceived by some as a risk but which the DHS TSA rules and regulations state are “no significant risk!”

Knitting needles are visible and obvious but pens or pencils are overlooked in pockets and ignored as a threat. That fact actually makes pens and pencils more of a threat to security because no-one would suspect them of being used as a deadly weapon.

Consider Steve Irwin, the crocodile hunter, who died from a barb on the tail of a skate or ray. That barb was no longer than a pen or pencil and had a sharp point just like a pen or pencil but quite unlike most knitting needles (except the smaller, sock sizes).

Should the TSA ban all pens and pencils from all flights? [/COLOR]

You’re awesome.:cool:

I later remembered the advice in Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy to always travel with a bath towel though. Maybe that’s where Jack got the idea.

Nope. My last name is not Dent. Our last lemon of a ride was a Ford and it always let us down. I drive a Saturn. My dear wife (with the heart of gold) drive a Dodge.

Oh, wait… :oo:

:roflhard:

Honestly, if there was some consistency across the board of whether or not needles were allowed, I think we would not get so worked up. I know for sure that I will seriously consider driving to Nawlins for Spring Break instead of flying in and renting a car. My husband likes to drive aimlessly and I like to knit, perfect for a road trip.

I have no idea what I’ll do when we fly to Holland. I’ll load up my Kindle with tons of mysteries.

I agree with LisaR that if they just came out and banned them (as Great Britain has), then you know not to bring them - just as I know not to pack a flame thrower in a carry on. It’s the inconsistency which is annoying.

Anything you can do with a knitting needle as a weapon could be done with a pen. Plus you could rig a pen up to inject poison.
So yes they should ban pens, pencils only. And of course no pencil sharpener because that has a blade.

I remember a little 4" dowel a Karate instructor had. I forget the name of it but it’s an actual Karate weapon.
Anything and everything can be used as a weapon. But you may not fare as well if your ‘anything’ ends up being a feather.

I read an interesting alternative posted by Laikabear in the NCIS thread: if you have your knitting on interchangeables, and if the TSA wants to confiscate your knitting…just unscrew the tips from the knitting. That way you only lose the tips, not the knitting.

Here’s my expansion on that idea: [U]keep your knitting[/U] [B]on KP cords with endcaps[/B] as you pass through TSA checkpoints. Pack the “Zephyr” needle tips separately in your carry-on bag. If the tips are confiscated, you won’t have to stop TSA, asking to unscrew the needle tips and keep the knitting. And, you won’t lose an expensive set of tips. Zephyr’s cost just a few bucks. Even if you aren’t really fond of Zephyr’s…they do work well, and would certainly occupy your flight time!

Of course, have spare parts packed in your checked baggage!
Then you can still knit on land.