Flat knit cardigan with fair isle?

Hi, it’s a long time since I was on here. I’ve been taken up with tapestry and embroidery for ages (I was warned it would happen!)
Anyway, I want to do a plainish cardigan with some fair isle bands near the cuffs and neck/shoulders.
I don’t do circular knitting, I want to do pieces. Sorry, but there it is, and the problem is I’m finding loads of circular-knit cardies but nothing in the flat knit I want to do.
Did anyone see the film ‘Dancing at Lughnasa’? I was fascinated by the knits more than the film almost. 1930s simple cardigans with hints of fair isle.
By the way, if I find a pattern for a cardigan, do you think I could just insert a fair isle pattern into it - seeing as it’s only small bands?

Welcome back!

Sure, you can do that. What you commonly see in faie isle yoke patterns is that the pieces are knit separately up to the armholes and then joined to knit the yoke. It’s all knit back and forth without joining to knit in the round. This is done partly to miimize yarn ends and to ensure that the pattern matches up across pieces. Like this one:

You could knit the pieces separately however and then seam them. Inserting fair isle work in the sleeves shouldn’t be a problem.

Thanks salmonmac (and thanks for the welcome back).
Of course, I won’t be able to put in my own little bit of fair isle without doing all the pieces separately, will I? The yoke in the link you gave is bigger than I want to do. I think I will just have to be careful about lining up patterns.
As I’m new to fair isle, perhaps you could shed some light on the ‘extra stitch’ some books talk about. I’ve done some little samples of fair isle where it does tell me to use the extra stitch, but I can’t for the life of me understand why the pattern worked out - what would have happened if I hadn’t put in the extra stitch? It’s apparently not compulsory and it’s not part of the pattern. So what is it and do I need to do it?

Well, you can put in your own fair isle design for just about any basic design you’d like, top down, bottom up, in pieces, in the round. Sideways might be hard.
I’m not sure what the extra stitch is unless it’s a steek. Somehow i thought that was usually two extra sts.

Yes, apparently I’m talking about a steek - I think! I’ve looked more into it on the net and it seems this is only useful for knitting in the round when you want to cut afterwards. Neither of my two (old) knitting books mentioned this important fact. I’ll try some samples without that extra stitch.