Flat knit cables

I hope I don’t get to long winded trying to explain what I’m trying to do, and I hope my pictures can be seen. I made the Honey Hat, it is a paid for pattern on Ravelry. Now I want to make a scarf with the same “fancy rib” on it. My problem is the hat was knit in the round. I need to convert the 4 row repeat to flat, back and forth knitting for a scarf. Can anyone explain how I might do this? Thank you Jerri
20220220_191927|900x1200

This is the 4 row pattern repeat.

It’s a mock cable. Very nice use on your scarf which looks lovely.
Here’s a video and the written instructions for working it flat.

You can add it the column of twisted knit sts between cables.

1 Like

Oh Salmonac, you are amazing. Thank you. I am knitting this set in 100% cashmere as a gift for my sister to give to her mother-in-law, and really don’t want to mess it up. Thanks again.

2 Likes

Oh, what a luxurious gift. I’m making a hat with 100% cashmere right now as a gift. It is wonderful to work with.

I knew I recognised that stitch hut couldn’t have named it.
Mock cable. I made a dishcloth in this pattern and adore it.

Not nearly as posh as cashmere!

It is wonderful to work with, and I never have. My sister wanted me to make this hat so she bought me the yarn, and paid me a decent amount of money for it. So I figured I should make a scarf to match it.

2 Likes

Hi! I think they already helped you with this but this video helped me a lot when I just started knitting cables.

Most of my knitting skills are from youtube videos so I hope it can help you too!

1 Like

Would this stitch look OK if I’m knitting a shrug?

Welcome to KH!
You could use the mock cable or a conventional cable on a sweater or shrug. The conventional cable will pull in the knit fabric and shorten the width. The mock cable won’t do this as much.
Do you have a pattern or are you designing one yourself?

Hello! I'm a beginner and want to knit a rectangular shrug. I tried one using 6mm needles in a stocking stitch but it turned out too small across the shoulders. 
I thought a mock cable stitch would elevate the look of the shrug as opposed to a stocking stitch. As I'm knitting a large rectangle, how many stitches do I need to cast on? I'm using 8 Ply wool and 5mm needles. I'm on the short side 5" 2in and a size medium. 
 The u-tube videos specified 40 inches (width) but that's about 180 stitches!  I'm getting confused 😕 
   Any help would be appreciated and thank you for your reply.

The best way to figure out how many sts to cast on is to make a swatch. Cast on about 25sts and knit for 10cm with your needles. Then you can measure the stitches across the middle 5-10cm of the swatch and get a good idea of the number of sts you’ll get per 10cm. That number can then be scaled up to the sts needed to cast on for the width you want.

What is the video you’re watching for the shrug construction?

Maybe it would be easier to find a pattern for the yarn you have and for your size? There are lots of free patterns. I’d have to do a fair amount of maths to work out my stitch count and size even for a basic rectangle.

Thanks Creations, it’s funny how you think knitting a large rectangle would be relatively easy, but it’s actually not!

1 Like

Thank you salmonmac for the gauge video. I did do a swatch and it was 27 stitches for every 6 inches. Based on the shrug video, she suggests knitting 40 inches for the width. This is where my previous shrug was too small across the shoulders.
So based on her figures and my swatch, this equates to casting on 180 stitches. Did I calculate this correctly? The shrug in her video is very bulky, I’m using an 8 Ply wool.
If 180 stitches is correct, does that mean I’ll have to use circular needles? I had a bad experience knitting with them.
The video is "How to make a shrug from a rectangle "…That Cozy Fox.

Good for you for working that gauge swatch. The difference is likely the different yarn weights between yours (~DK weight) and that used in the video.
There’s one thing to note. The actual width across the shoulders for the shrug in the video is 32". The 40" is the edge that is folded in half and constitutes the armhole opening and length from armpit to bottom edge of the shrug.
Your math is correct if you want to change the 32" measurement to 40" (which is fine) but just recognize which way the shrug orients. The advice about sizing and orientation at about 6min is very helpful.
So whatever the cast on it is going to be more practical to work on circulars. Try to think of them as 2 straight needles that, oh yes, just happen to be connected. A marker at the beginning of the row ensures that you don’t get so relaxed into your knitting that you forget to turn at the end of a row. Knitting across the turn and working a tube probably isn’t what you want. I often use a row counter both to count rows if necessary and mark the turn.