Fixing Rows with K2tog, sl, yo, etc

Hello all!

My first post and already am looking for help! I am a relatively new knitter and have just graduated from scarves to making a baby blanket. I’m really hoping I haven’t taken on more than I can handle!

The pattern is a lace baby blanket and is a lovely lavender color. There is a border, then a diamond pattern, then the border again. I’m working on circular size 6 needles.

I know how to do everything, but I have a tendency to make mistakes. Already I’ve started over twice, luckily early on, but I’m afraid of continuing before knowing how to fix these mistakes.

This is a sample row:
K9, yo, sl1, k1, psso, k3, k2tog, yo, *k4, k2tog, yo to last 9 sts, k9.

(This is the row I began this morning and realized halfway through I misread the pattern, and missed that last yo, :doh: )

I know how to fix my mistakes when it’s a knit or purl row, but how to you with these examples? Also, how in heck to do this on a circular needle?

Thanking you all very much in advance!

It’s extremely hard to fix a complicated pattern because each row is usually a little different. You will probably have to frog it or at least go back a few rows if that is even possible. Here’s a few ideas that might help for next time.

1. Use a LIFELINE! That is where you take a needle and waste yarn (or dental floss) and thread it through the stitches on the needle when you know that row is perfect. Make note of where you are in the pattern so if you have to frog back to that row you can start again easily. Move the lifeline up every 10 rows or so as you do the pattern. Yes, it does take time, but it’s faster than starting over everytime. :wink:

2. Use a paper and pen to keep track of what you are doing and rows. I’ve been knitting for over a year and I still do that. Saves my sanity. :teehee:

I agree that a lifeline is a sanity saver.

If you find the mistake on the row you’re on, you can unknit back to where the mistake was. If you’re further along, you can rip out more stitches.
If the wrong side rows are all purls, then you can pull out stitches until you get to a purl row and get them back on the needle one at a time and start fresh from that point.

I’m 98% sure that picking up the bar between stitches without twisting it is the same as doing a YO on the row before, but the tension will be slightly different - should even out eventually.

Sarah

Yes–if you find you missed a yo, you can use the bar between the stitches as one, and if you find you created an extra one, you can slide it off the needle and pretend it was never there. :teehee:

Thank you everyone! I’m going to print this out and keep handy.

I have a notebook and on each page I write out that row in the pattern. I like to see the pattern vertically as opposed to horizontally. Also, I like to have it big, the writing in the pattern is really small.

Again, thank you!