Fixing Mistake

Help! I was just about finished binding off on my throw when I noticed that I must have joined the last rows stitches on my circular needles.
so now I need to go back, and “unravel” or work the binding off backwards. can this be done? i cant believe it! I was so excited about almost being done and now I feel like this is going to ruin it.
any helpful hints would be appreciated.

Yes, it can be done, but expect it to be slow. Don’t ask me how I know. :slight_smile:

Yes as Zina says, it can be done, but it is rather tedious. I usually use the basic bind off, and I use a crochet hook to move the slipped over stitch back onto the needles.

I think everyone who knits has had to do this at one time or another. :slight_smile:

Unless you did some special bind off once you undo the end stitch you can just pull on the end of the yarn and it will undo just like ripping out any knitting and you can put it back on the needle. You can pull them out one at a time and put them back on carefully or rip out a bunch at a time and put the needle back through them, whichever way you feel most comfortable.

Whenever I have to rip out (FROG) a row, I use a smaller needle size to load the stitches back. Keep them on the smaller right hand needle, but when you start to knit them off the smaller right hand needle, use the NORMAL SIZE needle in the left hand.

Then put the smaller needle away, and continue on your merry way.

EG: I’m knitting a coat using a US11 needle. I had to frog back a ways and pick up the stitches. I used a US6 as my ‘pickup stitches needle’. The stitches just glide onto the US6. It won’t affect your gauge. You aren’t “knitting with” the US6. They are just holding them for you. You are “knitting with” the US11. The right hand needle is the gauge needle. It’s the worker needle!

And be sure when you knit that first row, to ‘mount’ your stitches correctly. It’s good if you can pick them back up mounted correctly, but any stitch that got incorrectly mounted onto the smaller pickup needle can be turned around on the first working row.

Here is a video by CAT BORGHI. She speaks about “stitch mount” in this video, and SSK decreases. It is a real good learning video!

//youtu.be/jGlhW1LuzDk

Keep them on the smaller right hand needle, but when you start to knit them off the smaller right hand needle, use the NORMAL SIZE needle in the left hand.

I didn’t know you knit left handed…

DOH! :aww:

It was way too late for me to be prowling around in the HOW TO forum!

Here is an amended response:

[COLOR=Navy]"Whenever I have to rip out (FROG) a row, I use a smaller needle size to load the stitches back. Keep them on the smaller [B]LEFT[/B] hand needle, but when you start to knit them off the smaller [B]LEFT[/B] hand needle, use the NORMAL SIZE needle in the[B] RIGHT [/B]hand.

Then put the smaller needle away, and continue on your merry way.

EG: I’m knitting a coat using a US11 needle. I had to frog back a ways and pick up the stitches. I used a US6 as my ‘pickup stitches needle’. The stitches just glide onto the US6. It won’t affect your gauge. You aren’t “knitting with” the US6. They are just holding them for you. You are “knitting with” the US11. The right hand needle is the gauge needle. It’s the worker needle!

And be sure when you knit that first row, to ‘mount’ your stitches correctly. It’s good if you can pick them back up mounted correctly, but any stitch that got incorrectly mounted onto the smaller pickup needle can be turned around on the first working row.[/COLOR]"

Sorry for the confusion! My bad! :wall:

Not enough coffee this morning, eh?

Thanks to all for the help with MY “Fixing Mistake”.
I could not keep on trying without this forum.! K