Fixing errors K2tog and K-b

I’ve been knitting only a few months. I have no problem fixing plain K or P stitches with a crochet hook. But I’ve tried some decorative stitches, like Fisherman’s Rib and Brioche, and ended up frogging the same hat down to the cuff 3 times. As soon as I get a dropped stitch laddering down (and I do, fairly often,) I don’t know how to fix it. The culprits are usually [B]K2tog[/B] and [B]Knit in Stitch Below[/B] (is it K-b?) Any help or videos on this?

I don’t know of any place that explains how to fix mistakes in this stitch. I tried to make a baby sweater a few years ago with this stitch and found I had to give up as well. Every time I made a mistake I had to start the whole sweater over. I took it to my friend who used to have the LYS and she couldn’t fix it and told me, “Don’t make any mistakes.” I thought I might be able to do that, but couldn’t. :lol:

I know. And it’s not so much mistakes as dropped stitches. At the Fisherman’s Rib thread here, someone wrote “don’t make mistakes.” But I want to get past stitches that are just made of K’s + P’s. I ended up making that hat in a waving rib pattern, but that’s not what I intended originally. Maybe someone will come along…

help
help

I think Merigold was the one who warned ‘don’t make mistakes’… heheheee

So why are you dropping stitches? Are you using straight needles and maybe have too many on them? Try using circulars, you can knit flat with them, they hold way more sts and you can push the sts back away from the tips. I seldom drop one, only if I have too many squished on the needle.

K1b is tricky to fix, but rather than try and bring it back up, I unknit my sts, usually only need to go back a couple rows at most. Last week I got off on which was kbelow a few rows previous and was able to pull out my needle and get the sts back on. I was only purling the WS rows though, so I think that made it easier.

I knew it was coming. No, I’m using circulars, and I’m probably dropping because they’re slippery, and I hold my needles in an unconventional manner. If [U]you[/U] seldom drop stitches, that doesn’t apply to newbies. :wall: I’ll try bamboo.

On those tricky stitches to pick up I put in a life line and then I don’t care if I goof up and relax.

You move the lifeline below each new round?

I add a new life line when I’ve completed a tough row. Then I add a new one every 10 rows or so … I guess it really depends on the item I’m working on and the yarn I’m using. Some yarns are easy to pull the needles out and rip back and reinsert needles - some aren’t. Some people like to use the purl row to insert their life lines or a knit row and not a complicated row. I guess it just depends on what you want to do, how often you want to do it, etc. It also might be an opportunity for you to figure out if you need to change needles or a method you are using.

I didn’t ever drop stitches when I was a newbie, either, I’ve dropped more in the last few years. But then all there was to knit with was acrylic and metal needles.

Smarty-pants!:eyes:

Can you explain how it is that you hold your needles that is so unconventional?

Just lucky I guess. Though I switched over to circs early on.

I tried to put in an explanation for fixing fisherman’s rib in the fisherman’s rib thread. Basically for knit below’s its sortof like you slipped a stitch the row before. When you drop a knit below two threads will unravel, creating a “ladder” of two threads per row unraveled. To fix a knit below that has unraveled once, put your crochet hook through the dropped stitch, behind the next thread up on the ladder grab the top thread in the ladder, pull through the loop. (This will put the loop bumps on the reverse side like a knit).

:knitting:

Wish I knew how to fix it, I don’t. My problem currently is a missed knit front and back increase and having to rip rows back to do the one I missed. I tell myself, “Don’t make mistakes.” It seems I don’t listen very well.
:frog: :frog: :frog: