First time using a stitch holder

Hi!

Here are the instructions I’m following…

Moss st 41 sts and leave these sts on holder for right front, cast off next 8 sts, with 1st stitch on needle after cast-off, moss st next 58 sts and leave on a holder for back…

Do i moss stitch and then thread those stitches from the needle onto the holder from the bottom or the top? Very confused! I havent used a stitch holder before and the above instructions have thrown me bit!

Thanks for your help!

Just slide the sts onto the holder with the tips facing each other. Then cast off the sts and keep knitting.

Hi! Thanks for your help. One more question…do I break the yarn?

No keep knitting with it. You don’t cut unless the pattern says so. Binding off part of the sts isn’t the same as binding off a whole project; I mean the BO is the same, but you’re going to need it to keep knitting.

Ah, okay, is says later in the pattern to rejoin yarn, so I thought it might need breaking. Got in a bit of a pickle then! :slight_smile:

Well, how much later, and where? You can always start the next part with an end from another skein.

“Moss st 41 sts and leave these sts on holder for right front, cast off next 8 sts, with 1st stitch on needle after cast-off, moss st next 58 sts and leave on a holder for back…”

Sounds like you’ve knit the sweater in one piece to the armholes and now you’re binding off for the armholes and working across the back to the left front. Keep the working yarn and use it for the left front. Later you’ll go back to the right front and the back of the sweater and to do that you’ll rejoin a new ends of yarn.