First time doing cable, and I think my knitting looks off, can you tell me what I did wrong?

So I started cable knitting with a basic and lovely pattern from
Ravelry: Irish Hiking Scarf pattern by Adrian Bizilia
The blue one is from the pattern creator. And the yellow one is mine. My cables, especially the second column, seem to be off and don’t have the shapes. Can you tell me what I did wrong?

Thanks :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Your scarf looks very good and will look even better after washing and blocking.
There’s one thing you might pay attention to and that’s the tension on the sts when you knit the sts held on the cable needle. Try to keep the tension the same from one cable to the next between the sts knit from the left needle and those knit from the cable needle. Don’t pull them so tightly that they are right up against the sts just knit. But don’t let them lag behind so much that there is a large gap between the sts just knit and the sts knit from the cable needle.

2 Likes

The cables in the second column do look off, but overall this is really impressive for a first time at knitting cables, so well done! They’re not something I do very often, so I can’t advise.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the help! The instructions for the cable needle tension is super helpful and seems to be the reason for the weird shaping. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: